1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow to get? help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheYardBarber, Oct 21, 2014.

1. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

I have a 2009 ram 1500. I was looking at different plows and stuck between a few.

One is the airflow. It's stainless steel 7.5 but weighs 730 lbs

Another is western which is about 200 lbs lighter

All other brands aren't local to me so these are the only two that I am interested in

I have an appointment with airflow to get it installed but just realized how much heavier it is. Should I go with the stainless or get the western?

I would like the stainless but the weight issue is a big concern. I don't know how much weight my truck can hold I've looked all over.

I will not be plowing large lots just a couple small lots and a few driveways

mccloskeylandscaping likes this.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Front axle weight rating. Farw. Door sticker. If airfoil said they will install it, chances are your trk will handle it. But Ck just to make sure

3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Go with lighter one on a 1500!!! I have a Dodge 1500 and ran a heavier plow and paid for it - literally. I've upgraded after 2 new hubs and a spindle, but take that weight off. 1500's were NOT built for this...it can be done, as I still am running this truck, but you have to be smarter with upgrading front end and how you actually plow. The Dodge will kick ass and take some abuse, but if you can save weight - DO IT! My 2 cents...

4. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

And x 2 on what diesel says...

5. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

It says the truck shouldn't exceed 1286 lbs with occupants. I'm not sure how that works with a plow

6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Slow, smart, and carefully! It will run it, but go with lightest possible. I have a BOSS Standard Duty on there...

7. dieselss

Is that the gvwr or just the axle rating?

8. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

I believe axle rating. It did not say gawr

9. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

I believe the front gawr is 3700

10. dieselss

Well that's an important answer. I'm.thinking it's your gvwr or gross vehicle weight rating. Not the axle. The axle is usually,,,3400,4400,4500,5000 example.

11. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

Yeah I think your right

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I had to go check! Mine is a 96 Ram 1500...front end is 1747 and rear is 1633.

13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Go take a look - it is right there where diesel said it was...

14. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

I did it only says the 1286 and tire pressure nothing about front and rear

15. dieselss

I think that's it 1286. So everything on your front end added up, and the leftovers is what you can get

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

take a pic and post, but that probably is it...

17. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

So what exactly does that mean for putting a plow on?

18. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

Not sure how to add a photo on here. But it doesn't say anything more that I said for some reason

19. dieselss

So your springs are only rated to hold so much. Front end parts, engine, etc....after you add all that up, what's left over is for the plow. As was said, to heavy and you'll have front end problems. Excessive wear to components, brakes wearing out to fast. All that good jazz

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Go with the western. Add air bags if you can. Not sure if airbags are available to fit that trucks front end.
    Alternative is to add beefier springs. IMO, you will want the extra muscle. Think of added snow and ice weight...pot holes and frost heaves..