1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow to buy??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DuramaxPowered, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

My first post... I'm looking to install a plow on my truck. 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison tranny crew cab short bed 4x4. 4670# front axle rating. Interested in plowing driveways,2 airports, and parking lots. What do you recommend? V-plow,straight blade? Give me some guidence. Thanks!:drinkup:
  2. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Can anyone help? Does anybody like full moldboard trips or trip edge? Please help me out...
  3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'll recommend the V plow. (biased opinion) :D You might be able to go with the 9'.6" with Timbrens. Do you know if it has the snow prep package? How do you know you have the 4670# rating? I thought D/A's got the heavier axle rating. Is Western the only brand you want? Boss and Blizzard make a great choice for you truck as well. With the Western V you get the trip edge plus it come stock with the rubber snow deflector. I paid 4800 out the door with the hand held controller.
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Last time I checked, the D/A combination did not get offered with a plow prep package. Has everything you need already. Personally if I had the $$ I'd get a v-plow. It will be worth the investment....only thing to remember is that in the scoop position it will fill up fast in larger snowfalls with long pushes. But the versitatility it gives you will be in your favor. Also, get a plow that you can get parts for easy. Don't get this plow because it looks neat but I have to drive 2 hours in a snow storm to get a motor (or whatever) Location of a reputable dealer should play a part in your decision of what brand you want. Last....Welcome to Plowsite:waving: :salute:
  5. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Thanks for the welcome. Still looking for the right plow.
  6. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Not sure if i want a vplow or not really. Worried about bending something or alot of upkeep. Truck doesn't have snowplow prep package i don't think it was available. It has the 4670# axle because it says it on the sticker in the door. I was thinking western because its the only plow setup that i found that i don't have to cut my front valence for. Still looking. But i better do something soon its going to snow.
  7. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Blizzard 810 would do you well. j.m.o Look on the Blizzard website for the video demo.:waving:
  8. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I put the western 8ft Pro on my truck. My brother in law has the same setup and loves it.
  9. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I guess i should give a update... I now have a new western 8' pro steel plow with the hand held control. Now all we need is snow!purplebou
  10. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

thats what i have a 8 ft pro plus,, how you likein your new plow now? your sure lucky yoiu didnt get one of those blizzard,, lotta problems in the posts ive read
  11. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

For the somewhat minimal difference in cost get a V or a Blizzard over a straight blade. I just did a self-install of a MVP on my truck and really like it. Cost me about $4,100 out the door.

I asked quite a few questions prior to my decision. One common response was that A close dealer that has parts on hand and offers service valuable.

I wanted a trip-edge so my decision was easier.

If you're technically and mechanically inclined do the install yourself, and you'll know how to fix most problems.
  12. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I really love my plow. I only used it a few times. It needs to snow again. :yow!:
  13. MJay

MJay Member

Let it snow.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  14. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

My next is gonna be a 9 foot Western V.:nod:
  15. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

i used to have a v plow, made alot of money with it years ago,, it sat in the yard , finally sold it last fall , never need it,, imlucky to get enought to plow with my straight blade ha