1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ctmotorcop, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ctmotorcop

Ctmotorcop Junior Member

I have just picked up a Tundra Pickup truck to use to help plow residential driveways on my route. The big problem I am having is which plow to buy. I have Meyers on my larger truck (which is too big to get into some of these driveways), but I have heard that Western is the way to go on these small trucks.

Any feed back?

Thanks in advance

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Get a Daniels pull plow and a Boss 8'2" V. You will be a residential killing machine.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What year Tundra is it? I have an 8' HD Fisher on my 2012 Tundra and it's the perfect straight blade for my truck IMO. 2nd and 3rd gen. Tundras are the best 1/2 ton for plowing IMO. They are very rugged and handle plows very well. If it's a 1st gen. Tundra you have, you will have to go with a lighter plow.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make that a 9,2:D

5. Ctmotorcop

Ctmotorcop Junior Member

it is a 2005 tundra.. The last year before they gave tundra steroids {lol} We have many residentail driveways which are a pain to get into with our larger truck

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Ok, forget the the Boss V, but get a pull plow.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm a hike but I have a used 22 series SNoway with mount for that truck, $2,500

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

For that Tundra I would go with a Meyer MDII or MD Plus with a 7.5' STL or a 7.5 ST with a set of Timbrens. E60 or E58 pump and Saber II lights

Here is one http://providence.craigslist.org/for/4860565904.html

The one thing about the MD series plow is the center frame mounts are all the same and the truck specific side mounting plate kits can be bought pretty cheap, like $350 new. The wiring is all the same just the headlamp adapter plugs will be different again inexpensive , like $50 new

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Any make 7.5 plow as long as its a direct lift.
    Get a set of wings, they let you contain the snow
    And your plow will now be over 8ft wide, and you can remove them for those
    Tight spots.

10. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

11. mercer_me

Since it's a 1st gen. I would suggest a 7.5' Fisher HT or 7.5' Boss Sport Duty.

12. Ctmotorcop

Ctmotorcop Junior Member

thanks for the info

13. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

I have a Western and like it but if you're mainly going to be using it on driveways, nothing beats SnoWays down pressure.

14. Ctmotorcop

Ctmotorcop Junior Member

Thank you for the imput

15. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Hiniker C plow

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Make sure you buy a plow that will save your transmission.....

or uses ATF in it so that when you're out in the middle of the night, the local stop and shop will have your plow fluid...

:rolleyes:

17. speedracer7c

speedracer7c Junior Member

only thing fisher offers for first gen tundra is a Homesteader. :(

18. mercer_me

That's the only plow they recommend. They don't recommend an 8' HD for my Tundra but, I put one on any way and it's been perfectly fine. There is a 1st gen. Tundra with a 7.5' HD MM1 in my area. Would I recommend that plow for that truck? No but, that guy seems to make out fine with it. I wish I could get a picture of it but whenever I see it I'm driving. A 1st gen. Tundra would be perfectly fine with a 7.5' HT. The HT weighs less than the recommended Boss 7.5' Sport Duty.

19. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

:nod:....................