1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which plow to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kohern, Oct 17, 2003.

1. kohern

kohern Junior Member

I have a 1989 Chevy suburban 1500 series 4 WD. I will plow my driveway and some new friends driveways! I am looking at Fisher and Western plows. Fisher seems exspensive for what I need, put will last forever. Western looks good, but will it last? Any help would be appreciated!!! I have a snowway dealer near me, any feedback!

Thanks

Kevin

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well you have the old solid axle style truck,so it will carry the plow no problem.Timbrens would help the front end.

The Western is every bit as good as a Fisher,and both are great plows.The Snoway's are good units too.I have run them all,and currently run both Western's and Snoways.If the Snoway dealer is close to you,that may be the way to go,as you may need them for parts and service.I'd go with an 8 foot.

3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Both fisher and western plows are good plows and the western should hold up for you pretty well too i know alot of guys that run westerns that swear by them. so either way ya go you should end up with a pretty dependable plow.

Seth

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I also think that Fisher and Western are both great plows and neither one is better than the other one, in my oppinion. It is said that Fishers scrape better, and Westerns are better at rolling the snow. My Western scrapes really well I think, I cant see how another kind could scrape any better. Fishers are bottom trip snowplows and Westerns are full trip snowplows. Like I told MsQueen in the other thread, really you should figure out which style you would rather plow with, then you have you decision. Do you prefer red or yellow? :D Welcome to PlowSite by the way. :waving: Mike

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I can tell you that Fisher and Western are very good plows. I always have own a Fisher plow, but never a Western because there is no local dealer here selling them. However, from numberous positive feedbacks about them on Plowsite, I can tell you that Western are good plow too.

I have been using Fisher plows for a few years and have zero problem with them. I really like their trip edge design, which is very popular for Northeast region. The trip edge on Fisher plow is 6" in height, located on the bottom of plow. The main moldboard stay intact. What the trip edge do is to prevent the truck and plow from getting damaged when you hit an immovable object, such as buried boulder or curb, etc. When the plow hit an unmovable object, the trip edge TRIPS, but the main moldboard stay upright, continue to push the snow.

With the full trip plow, like Western and several other manufacturers, the whole plow will trip forward when it hit unmovable object. When that happen, you lose most load of snow that you have pushed, and you would have to start over again.

That is why trip edge is a big plus, in my opinion. I am a diehard Fisher guy, and probably would never switch to another brand. But still, nothing really wrong with Western too.

Perhaps you could try to do a search on Fisher and Western, or trip edge vs. full trip. I am sure that this topic has been discussed before, and you may find more helpful information. :)

Welcome to Plowsite! :waving:

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

This has been mentioned a few times lately,and is totally untrue.The Western's,or most full trip plows will not lose the load of snow if they trip forward when plowing.In fact,they will keep it and still scrape.

The trip edge plows tend to fly upwards when they trip,and when the blade pops up,you lose the snow.

The full trip plows are actually better for scraping in tough conditions,and you can still plow forward when they trip.Here is a pic as an example.You can see the blade is fully tripped,yet no snow was lost.

plowtripped.jpg