1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippi, Oct 11, 2003.

1. zippi

zippi Banned

Please help, I been a meyer guy since the time I was 16. In that time I had no problems with my plows. I changed the fluid and did the service like they said. I went to school for pump service. I just sold all my meyers stuff. It was all e z mount. All my back ups of everything are gone. I am starting fresh. The reason I don't want to go back to meyer is that they don't do any major updates. They have the same website since 2001.:( . I love the new ultra mount. It looks really user friendly. I have been told if you do a lot of back draging that there is a risk that the pin could snap that holds on the plow and it just falls off. Its about 1/4 inch diam. and welded on. I am afraind of this. Also, how is the western pump system. Flowstat. I like the seperate lift and pump cylinder. I think if I do this I will buy an extra plow and light stand for breakdowns of do i not need it with western. Please Help
  2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

welcome :waving: where in PA are you?
  3. zippi

zippi Banned

Concordville, right around 202 and 1
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

There were a few problems with the Ultramounts becoming disconnected,but they have been rectified.I wouldn't hesistate to buy one.

If your truck will handle it,and you've not going with a V-blade,take a look at the new Pro plus.It's a real beefy piece of equipment.
  5. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Dare I recommend a Blizzard? We just got one this summer, and it looks really beefy. Haven't got to plow with it yet, but the scoop will save time, and the wing extension will work nice for wide open plowing. I have seen a new pro plus, and it looks quite stout, also. What truck are you hanging it on?
  6. Manny Inc.

Manny Inc. Junior Member

What plow to buy

The answer to your ? really Is what you plow and how you plow if you run your rig hard and fast or if you baby it .Its all about style myself i run the loaders and trucks hard but do not beat on them.I prefer the boss v the mount is very user friendly
    and the plow is built pretty beefy but with any product there are pros and cons i did own one meyer and personaly i did not like it at all it fell apart on me it bent backwards on me after awhile
    i had to weld stops on the hinge pins at the trip point after it turned into a big spatula so i sold it rather cheaply. To me this unit is a homeowner piece.For commercial plowing i would strongly
    consider the boss and no i do not work for them (he he ).Or the fisher both built very good but the boss if run hard will tend to rack behind the mold board the fisher will bend the angle cylinder
    mount toward the blade itself. Trust me i have tried them all and the tried and true are are fisher,boss these have not let me down with the exeption of blown hoses Etc. general wear parts.
    The only downfall of boss is they need to work on there frame mounts there not distributing tyhe wieght very good. Iam very leary of the blizzard it seems to me when the plow takes a major
    hit and bends or when it racks eventually wil the extentions start to get stuck! and to me 10' scoop with wet snow or dry for that matter is just to much fore the truck and tranny. If you need that kind of blade it should be on a loader of some type, as pushing a 10' blade will kill that truck.

P.S Has anybody made the mistake of buying a pathfinder?
    If not dont make it! THey use a piese of rubber for the trip edge and in cold weather the rubber snaps and in warmer weather it scrapes so good the blade will angle so fast when it bites in it throws the truck sideways before you know it you have bought a new door for the car you just hit. A nd a good goose egg on your head!
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I wish i knew what truck you would be putting this plow on. The westerns look like great units very strong and reliable. Fisher, Boss, And BLizzard are also plows you should consider. I like the Blizzard power plow because of how they are able to expand and can expand to wings. It saves time. Most peole i my area own fisher snowplows.:)
  8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Good to hear you got rid of all the Meyer stuff and want to start off fresh with new, better equipment. Western and Fisher are 2 great choices in my oppinion. Im just now experiencing my very first problem with my Western UniMount plow after 11 seasons of use. I would try and stick to a namebrand plow that is sold close to where you live for when you do have a problem or need parts fast. Im sure some of the other namebrands are very good also, but I dont have any experience with them at all. I dont own a Fisher either, but speak highly of their product because I know MANY people who run Fishers and love them and wouldnt trade them for another brand. Really you need to decide if you want a trip-edge plow or a full-trip plow, then your choices get narrowed down to certain namebrands. Welcome to PlowSite! Mike :waving: