1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow rolls the snow best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Easy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I am thinking of replacing my current plow with a new one and would like one that rolls the snow rather than just pushes it. I know some of the plows roll the snow more than others, and was wondering what your experiences were.
  2. RickyGasser

RickyGasser Member

Your best bet would probably be anyone with a snow foil. That will make the snow rollwesport
  3. Easy

Easy Senior Member

The reason I asked is I know some plows are arced more that others. Just wondered which one were arced more than others.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Snoway has a pretty tight radius on their plows, and their ability to roll snow is one of their selling points. I think they all do a decent job though. Add a deflector and they will all work better. Drive a bit faster and they all roll snow better.
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

IMO the poly plows will roll snow better than the steel types because the snow will not "stick"poly material as easily as it doows to steel.
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher X-blades arc out farther than other plows to roll snow ahead. Other Fishers accept the snowfoil which really rolls the snow out in front.
  7. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

poly...the only plow that rolls snow good...wont stick to the plow....why u think they came out w poly v's...just my .02 centswesport
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

fluid film fluid film fluid film!!!

Fisher X-Blade would probably be best bet or the HD fisher with sno foil, intense snow rolling there!
  9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Cuz they couldn't come out with a good plow light enough for trucks!
  10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Boss super duty steel or poly. Those plows have the biggest arc I have seen. That is what I am replacing my meyer with
  11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The Fisher X blade has a 10" over hang. The top is 10" further forward than the bottom. And the mold board is a huge 31" high. What do the others have as far as factual numbers not opinions?
  12. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I am torn between the Boss and the Western. Can get either through local dealers, the Boss dealer is where I got my trailer and other things through, also did emergency repairs on my Meyers on Christmas eve. a few years back when I had 2 trucks. Really want to replace my Curtis, right now it is sitting in my barn, can't get it to mount on my truck!!! Took it off yesterday to get my oil changed, went out this morning, spent 11/2 hrs trying to remount it, and it just will not go back on!!!
    Oh well, live and learn I guess.....
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Any plow with a curve/radius will roll snow.

A lot of in depends on your speed/snow type.
    If you are doing short residential drives you will be going slow, to slow to really get the snow to roll..
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Uh oh, are we going to hear about not going faster than 5 MPH and how terrible that is again? ;) :D (different thread)

I can't be real objective, but after using v-plows exclusively on smaller trucks the last 15 years, Blizzards do an excellent job of rolling. I can't be objective because v-plows are inherently bad at rolling snow because of the hinge in the middle. Not to say they can't, just saying they aren't as good as a straight blade. They do seem to be better than what I can remember of other straight blades in the past, but I can hardly remember yesterday at this point in time. I need some sleep.

I see it still hasn't warmed up for you SnoFarmer, staying warm?
  15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Easy, who have you been using as your dealer? I get most of my stuff at best truck. They have both western, and boss. They could give you a good deal on either of them. I am very good friends with them.
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I read that different thread;)

Yes, thanks for asking, It's going to get above -o today, well for a hr or two anyway:waving:

roll roll roll the snow happily down the drive,xysport
  17. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I got the plow from Eschelman, the trailer and other stuff from O'Reilly Equipment. O'Reilly is the one that did the repair on Christmas eve for me. Couple of great guys there. I got my Curtis on the truck again, the hydraulic foot wasn't raising the plow high enough to get it into the channel under the truck. Oh well, live and learn some more...
    Maybe in the spring I will look for another, I will keep you and Best Equipment in mind. I just won't take this plow off until spring.

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thats good that you got it hooked back up. Just let me know when you are looking for something new.:waving:
  19. MnM

MnM Senior Member

my 810 will throw snow over the sidewalk from the street. when you are going a nice speed and the snow is just right the snow shoots about 10 to 15 ft in the air. Blizzards all the way
  20. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

The Western uni-mount on our "97 GMC rolls snow really nice. The Meyers poly 2nd best and then the V on my truck and last but not least the Skid steer but there's an obvious reason for that. NO SPEED!
    Guys remember alot has to do w/ mounting on the truck too. I've seen trucks w/ the carriage way to high b/c they put a lift kit on it. YES it does effect plow performance.