1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow on Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ramair2k, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I am looking at picking up a left over 2012 2500HD WT Ext Cab. There are a couple of fisher plow dealers near me. I am in Medford, and there is JC Madigans in Harvard, Chapdelaine in Lunenburg and Mirak in Arlington. A while back I was researching and was quoted from JC Madigan, 8' HD standard for $4,995 installed. They also said that a X blade, straight was $5,400 and Vee was $5,600 installed. Do these prices seem spot on? I have never had a plow installed before so I am checking in with you more experienced guys as to whether the prices seem fair or not.

Another question I have is this. The blade will be used mostly for a few driveways of some family members. No thoughts of commercial plowing as I have a full time job as a Network Engineer for Comcast. Would anything other than the standard HD straight blade be a waste of money? How about the X blade straight? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Just realized I posted in the wrong section. Feel free to move.

3. If the $$$ is not an issue go with the Extreme Vee. I had straight blades for over 30 years. I bought a used EZV 2 years ago and I will never buy another straight blade. You probably should go with the 8 1/2 foot XV. I have done business with JC Madigan for over 20 years. They have a huge new shop in Lancaster. Very nice state of the art facility. If you are in Medford though I would strongly consider taking the drive up Rte 1 to Langs Corner Garage in Rye NH. They will probably beat any price and no sales tax. Just to confuse you more there are several members right here on Plowsite from Mass that sell almost new takeoffs for much less money. Good Luck.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with an 8 foot straight steel or x-blade.I have a 8 foot straight blade and I'm getting an x-blade soon.I would try Franklin Motors in Dracut its where my dad has gotten his last three plows and I get all my parts.

5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

If money is no problem, go with a v otherwise a HD blade is just fine. The x blade is a more aggressive blade that might be a waste for you.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

XV or XLS...they're both rated for your truck.

7. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

If you have no intention of plowing commercially the 8' straight would serve you very well. Many guys plow commercially with Fisher straight plows. Spending more money will definitely get you a nicer (not necessarily better) plow so it basically depends how much money you wannna shell out. If I were to upgrade from a straight I'd go to the XLS before a vee.

8. There is no need to go for the XLS if all he is going to plow is driveways, IMHO.

9. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I am still not sure which blade I will go with, but I do know that the XLS is out of the question. EV may be worth it as I can see scooping out these driveways, and also the resale value of a Vee blade vs the standard 8' HD yellow blade you see everywhere.

One thing that most of the replies did not touch on was price, installed.

10. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Just call Langs corner garage they usually beat any price out there

11. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Agreed. No need for a vee either IMHO. If I was in his shoes I'd go 8' or 8.5' straight.

12. I would have agreed with you until I got my V. I was a straight blade guy for over 30 years. 2 years ago I got a steal (Repoman 207's words) on an EZV and now I'll never buy another straight blade.