1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow oil?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Well I got my new Blizzard but haven't put the oil in it yet. (Watch for my Blizzard post) The manual says to use their oil (surprise) but I was wondering what the rest of you use. I've had underhood pumps for the past 6 years and have always used ATF with no problems. The Central Parts catalog has a notice that today's pumps need special plow oil, I was wondering if this is true or is it a marketing ploy? The plow oil is 4 times the cost of ATF. The coldest I've seen while plowing is 10 degrees here in N.Y.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well the out front electric pumps take that blue or more expensive iold rated for -40/50 below do not use atf only good for the under hood models.

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Most people never see 40/50 below.

Western (an out front electric model) says "Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) DEXRON®III to -10° F (-23° C)"

Blizzards website doesn't give any information concerning fluid type.

Better make sure you don't void the warranty by using something they don't recommend. LOL

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Western/Fisher pumps I use ATF. Meyer pumps I have seen ATF turn to a black goo. I use quick lift fluid from my dealer. It is a clear hydro fuid that mixes with the Meyer blue. I haven't had any problems with it on cold days. Of course it does not get to -20 or lower here very often.