1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow is right for me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dannyc33, Aug 30, 2004.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

First, I would like to start off by thanking everyone that helped me last year when my user name was danthemowerman with the advice discouraging me from trying to plow with my 2 wheel drive 1500.

I just bought a 04 Ram 2500 Quad cab and long wheel base (8 foot bed) 4x4 with intention of plowing alot. I woulld like to put a Boss plow on it for this winter and would like to know what you guys think would be best for my truck and the accouts that I plan on servicing.
    I'm interested in going after residents neighborhoods with about 150-400 homes, small to medium parking lots, and with whatever time that doesn't fill up do some drive ways.
    I've narrowed down the plows to an 8 ft straight Super Duty polyethylene, 8ft6" straight steel (not polyethylene),and a 8ft2" power-v polyethylene plow.
    My concerns lie with the quality of steel vs polyethylene, v vs straight, and 8' vs 8'2" vs 8'6" because since my truck is so big (quad cab and 8 ft bed) in tight areas and driveways, but I hope not to have to do many driveways.
    Also reliabiity is very important to me and would like any comments on the raliability of these 3 like again steel vs poly and v vs straight.
    And one last thing is there any problems with the pivot areas on the v-plow that would affect the quality of the job in any way.
    also i'm in indianapolis, so we usually don't get dumped on and average about 27 inches of snow a year over several 2"-6" snowfalls for the most part
    sorry for the long post, but I very much look forward to your feedback.

thankyou kindly,
  2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Go with the V, I have a fisher because of there reputation and I like the trip edge better that the full trip.
  3. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

thanks sno mover for replying.

can't anyone else help me out? :confused: :cry:
  4. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Go with the V as long as your front end isn't way overloaded. I think the Boss V or a Blizzard would be what I would go with. Either plow would be very versatile for what you plan to do.

Dealer support should also be a determining factor. Will you be able to get parts pretty quickly, will you be able to get repairs done quickly???

I run 3 old Westerns and I stock some parts and I have to fix them cause a dealer is an hour away.

Good luck with your decision,
    Mark K
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go to the western site and check out the mvp blade its nice and easy on and off i think it comes in 8.6
  6. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

it lokks pretty good.

which one do most of you guys prefer western or boss?
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western ultramount
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Western Ultra Straight blade with Turkey Wings here !

Perfect for my usage/applications. Dependable, priced right !
    Closest ANY brand dealer 30 plus miles away as the crow flies !

I keep spare parts handy too... for those 4am busted a hose,
    lost a pin in the blizzard DAZE! :dizzy:

Good Luck and pray for snow payup .............geo
  9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

check out the BLIZZARD 8-10..........That's what we are getting :waving:
  10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I'm interested in going after residents neighborhoods with about 150-400 homes, small to medium parking lots, and with whatever time that doesn't fill up do some drive ways.

Read the above line again "small to medium".
    A larger plow doesnt make it easier to plow a small lot! What size of drives are you going to be doing? If you tried to put anything bigger than a 8' on my drives you would be pulling down fences and siding. Go and look at the areas yjou want to plow and think about how you will plow it and will the blade fit.

Poly vs steel, not really much differance other than a little more weight. I have only seen one poly come back with any problems in the mold board area and thats because the fire hydrant didnt move.

Western, fisher and boss build a reliable plow, look for service and parts availablity in your area.
  11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

First go with the brand that you will get the best service with. preferably a ploy V for production. then Boss, Blizzard, western, fisher, Meyers in that order there are others but thoes I know a little about.
  12. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

i'll look at both boss and western. the 8-10 blizzard dealer told me it was too heavy for my 2500.
    I'm leaning toward boss since almost every receiver I see has the boss logo on it, the city of Fishers (borders the north side of iny)has them on every truck, and the dealer is close, but i'll still check out western.
    if i get a boss v it'll be 8'2" which isn't too big, and it should be pretty easy to use in small areas
  13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A Blizzard 8-10 will go on a 2500. weight 950 lbs.
    Don't know why he told you that.