1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow is compatible with my truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman71, Oct 16, 2003.

1. snowman71

snowman71 Junior Member

I currently drive a GMC Sierra 4x4 Z-71. 6.5 Diesel 1/2 ton. My question is what do I have to do (if anything) to prepare my truck for a Fisher plow, and what size should I go with?...or am I better off to go with an older 3/4 ton and what size plow for it? Any answers are well appreciated. P.S. Obviously...I'm new to this and looking for any info!

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Welcome aboard! Get yourself some Timbrens for the frontend to help hold the added weight of the snowplow. You can also crank up the torsion bars. Do you have a regular cab truck? 6' or 8' bed? I also have a half ton truck, but mine is a gas motor, not a diesel. The diesel is alot heavier on the frontend already, so you are kind of limited to what you can hang on there as far as a plow goes. 7.5' is the biggest I would go on a half ton truck, just my oppinion. You can go the same size as me, but you may not be able to get the heavy plow Fisher puts out in the 7.5' size. You might be better off sticking to the lighter one they make, or go with a plastic SnoWay plow. Im sure more people will be responding to this shortly. Mike :waving:

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Mike that the diesel will limit on what you can put on front end. You probably will be limited to Fisher 7.5' LD series plow, but you should try to talk to your dealer to see what he have to say. Definitely install a set of Timbrens, hand down. It will greatly help your truck front end because it will reduce some sags and will help the truck handle the plow better.

Also, welcome to Plowsite! :waving:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Consider a Snoway.They are a little lighter than most other plows,yet still plenty strong.Timbrens and a few turns of the torsion bars will most likely help.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

One thing to remember about the diesle option is that all the suspension and cooling componenets are already HD. No need to upgrade those.
    Dino

6. snowman71

snowman71 Junior Member

Thanks for all the tips!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. It's well appreciated. After reading about the diesel and possible weight problems, I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to a 3/4 ton gas truck (an older model). I've been searching through the auto trader and have come across a couple of Ford trucks. One, a 93 F-250 comes with a 8' Myers plow yet is a diesel. (I wish I could find a 350 3/4 ton Chev;) Any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

You'd be worse off with the Ford F250 diesel.It's a good truck,but it uses Ford's TTB,or twin traction beam front end.They do not like to carry weight well,and with the diesel and a plow,your asking for trouble.They eat up tires and front end parts too.

I don't think it will be a big problem putting a blade on your current truck.Adding the Timbrens and turning up the torsion bars a few turns will do the trick.It would be better than the F250.

8. myo

myo Senior Member

I agree with Wyldman, a snoway or 7.5' Fisher with timbrens and torsion bars turned up, your truck should handle it fine.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hey,I just realized your from Pembroke.Your not too far from me.If you want to chat about this stuff some more,just give me a call.Maybe I can help you track down a good used plow.I'll PM you my number if you want.

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would stay with your truck. All you need to do is to add a set of Timbrens and crank up a few turns on torsion bars, and you should be good to go! Much easier that way, and much less headache than buying another truck (F-250 TTB) that would give you nothing but problems all the time. I would not trust any Meyer plows either.