1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow is best for my truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Nate2418, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Nate2418

Nate2418 Junior Member

Hi all 1st post for me.
    I have a 05 2500hd duramax crew cab. Im new to the snow plowing this upcoming season. I am hoping to get some pointers on which used snow plow would be best for my truck... I am aware of the weight of the diesel engine and I dont want to get too heavy of a plow and destroy the front end. I will be plowing some driveways and alot of school parking lots. I have been looking at a western mvp v blade 8.5. All steel and ive been looking at a fisher 8-10 wide out. I am worried the wide out is too heavy. So any input is appreciated, thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome to the site.

An 9ft Vee ,( direct lift)
    And may I sudjest a talegate spreader to counter act the weight of the plow.

Also, you should be budgeting in wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever.
    It's part of the business.

Good luck.
    As it sounds like you have the cart before the horse.

BUFF likes this.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What Sno said. Used Vees can be beat up. Give it a good look over. If your doing schools make sure you have the correct insurance. By the time you but the used plow. Then all the truck side stuff, you may only be 1500 off a new plow, that comes with a warrenty.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

The best blade you can get is the one with the best dealer support that's open in the middle of the night when it's snowing and you've got customers that have to be cleared before morning.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Before you buy anything, take a few pics of EVERYTHING offered, get as much information on whatever it is your looking at.......then post it all here and all of us will critique it. There's a lot of professional guys here and will talk you through what you need

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If it helps your decision, I have hung 9 ft straight blade steel westerns off my IFS Chevys and GMCs for many years. I am currently hanging a 9.6 MVP3 steel on my 07 crew cab short box duramax. They will handle it fine.

You will go threw front end parts (idler, pitman, tie rods) with any plow in a GM IFS truck... it is the other 300+ days of the year that you have to drive the thing that it is nice to drive something that rides like a caddy... not a hayrack...

7. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

arctic seems like they make a nice plow for you guys up north eeeeh !

8. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Bingo we have a winner.
    If you can swing it get a V.
    A v can be a straight blade but a straight blade can not be a V.

9. Nate2418

Nate2418 Junior Member

I put alot of thought into it. Maybe too much lol. I ended up with a Western MVP 8.5 V blade. I am picking it up tomo. I appreciate your input. Thanks

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Make sure to post pics Thumbs Up

leolkfrm likes this.