1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow for this truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Toivo1037, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Toivo1037

Toivo1037 Junior Member

Can you please help me out to identify which plows I could get for the new to me truck?

Our OLD plow truck died last week and I came across a great deal on a 2007 GMC 3500. It was just supposed to be a truck, and when I got the pictures I was surprised to find that it had a plow mount on it. It will be an 7 hour drive to go get the truck, and I thought I would do some craigs-list mining to possible find a blade on the return trip, but the current owner isn't sure what was on the truck. My previous plow was a super old Western so I am just starting to lean about the new options out there.

Are these mounts and wiring universal? I have been borrowing a relatives V-plow until I get going again, and have found that it is a huge time saver. If I have the option I would go with that on the new truck, if not I may just grab whatever was originally on this truck to get me through the winter.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,

Truckplow.jpg

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ultramount, 3 plug plow, most likely straight

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  3. Toivo1037

Toivo1037 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. For the very low miles on the truck I assumed that it wasn't really used for any kind of production work - meaning likely a straight blade.

Will some V's use this mount - knowing I likely would have to change the wiring?

And what can I have them look for at any wiring to tell the difference in the straight or Vplow if there is any difference?

If I cold find a V blade with this mount, at least I could get the blade home and wire it up when I got here.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to ask the seller about the number of pins in the plugs. One will have two big pins. Another will have 11 pins. The last one will have 3 pins if it was a straight blade. Or 7 pins if it was a v plow. However, you can get a controller adapter to put a three plug straight blade on a three plug V setup. But not the other way around.

Before you commit to this unit ask about the truck details, engine size, front end axle weight etc. If you go to the Western web site and go through quick match it will ask you a bunch of questions. There is the 3500 classic and the 3500 Sierra, for example, different mount and headlights among other things. Then engine size (which affects the available weight on the front end) and the front suspension of course. Once you have those answers Quick Match will list the available plows that are recommended for the truck. That being said you should also know that there is nothing (other than fear of death and common sense) that prevents you from putting any ultra-mount three plug plow on that truck. Just keep in mind that if you overload the front end, especially on GM models, that the front end will drop. GMs are nutorious for being to low and for sagging after time with a plow mounted....

5. 1olddogtwo

All Ultramount and Ultramount 2 will fit, this includes wideout, MVP+ and MVP3.

You'll need to determine what wiring you have now before we can supply what you'll need to swap out.

6. Toivo1037

Toivo1037 Junior Member

Fantastic fast info. That is exactly what I needed to know. Looks like the research I did today is telling me the Ultramount is a good system to have. So the question will be was it a straight or V, and your info will solve that question. I should be able to find out Wednesday what plug is on it. I will post up the info when I find out.

Heck, maybe I will get lucky and actually be able to get the plow that I want the first time around!

Thanks a ton you guys!!

7. 1olddogtwo

No problem, I should add the plows listed above are two plug as well as new (last two years) straight blades. It's known as fleet flex, one controller will run any two plug set up.

Also welcome to Plowsite.

8. mishnick

Now don't lead him down the garden path..... The picture clearly shows it has three plugs. So he CANNOT accommodate the Wide-out, MVP+ or MVP3. Nor can he couple up to any multiplex straight blade. Unless he wants to spend at least $500 on new cables and controller....

9. 1olddogtwo

As I said,the mount will support want he wants, and I said he'll need to swap out if he wants it.

Am I wrong with the info I provided?

He's in the research mode, it would have been wrong of me/us to just give tim partial information. He now has options to explore.

10. mishnick

Yes he is new and in research mode. Had you read the previous submissions you would have known we had already ascertained it it a three plug. We were directing him to find out if it was a straight blade or MVP.

Telling him he might be able to mount a Wide-out or MVP+ was inaccurate information. I find this happens pretty regularly here. People read the original question and then post their comments without reading the entire discussion.

So I guess the answer to your question is "yes, you gave him wrong information." He wanted to know what would fit and work as is.

11. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Truck is a classic according to that picture and appears to be gas as well. Not sure on the gas or diesel part, looks like it

12. 1olddogtwo

Read post 2, then post 3

Thank you Mr know it all

13. 1olddogtwo

His question:
    Will some V's use this mount - knowing I likely would have to change the wiring?

If I cold find a V blade with this mount, at least I could get the blade home and wire it up when I got here

Read post 2, then post 3 then post 5

Thank you Mr know it all

WTF is wrong comprehension in this world

14. Toivo1037

Toivo1037 Junior Member

Quick match comes up with a ton of different options, so I will investigate the wiring to see what was on previously.

As far as straight or V, if it was originally V, then I will go the rout for sure. If it was originally straight, then I will have to decide which way to go. Been using strait in my family for ever, so I can get by with one if I need to. I could always change it out later if needed.

15. 1olddogtwo

I could off on my dates( probably am) but three plug Vee's haven't been around since 2000ish.

16. triplestrokes

triplestrokes Junior Member

Olddog, i like the way u think!

17. 1olddogtwo

Thanks

"Can you please help me out to identify which plows I could get for the new to me truck?"

I thought I was being helpful and gave him some credible information.

Perhaps my words don't translate well into French Canadian, I don't know.

Just saying.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  18. mishnick

If you did find a three plug MVP all you need to change is the control harness (which goes through the firewall to the controller, to the solenoid, to the headlight harness or isolation module and up front through the grill) and the actual hand held controller. Controller will be around $400 and controller harness will be about $100. If you go that rout be very careful connecting small wires to the solenoid. Connecting wrong can damage that expensive controller. That cable can be a pain to swap out too as it goes through the firewall and through the grill. Not something you want to do outside when it's cold.

As for the nasty banter above.... Let's get back to helping with the original questions. I am sorry I ruffled your feathers. I understand we are all just trying to help, including you Olddog... FYI I am not French Canadian, perhaps my problem is that I never learned to speak American....

Toivo Olddog is correct with what he says about being able to "mount" any ultra-mount or ultra-mount II. Meaning you can couple it up to a new multiplex unit (MVP+ or MVP3 etc), then jack it up and high chain it to get it home. But once you get it home you have a bit more work than switching from a straight blade to V. If you go to a two plug multiplex plow you will need to replace everything electrical on the truck side except for the headlight harness and isolation module. This will be costing closer to $750 for parts if you go new. Being a new Western operator I didn't want to throw so much at you too soon. It can be pretty overwhelming. My advice, if you want a V look for a three plug MVP in good condition and then you only need change one cable and the controller. I hope what I am telling you is helpful and that you can understand my Canadian English. LOL. :laughing:

It's always amazing to see how passionate people get about giving away free information. Lot's of testosterone, as you will find as you spend time on the site.:nod:

19. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Mish: I see both sides...although I see the posturing as necessary.

The OP did ask which plow would attach to the mount. And I see your point: on top of the $500-$560 necessary to spend on cables, controller, etc., extraneous wiring may be necessary, as well as 5-25 hours of work (in a heated shop or not).

Both you and Oldogtwo have a wealth of information to contribute to this forum. Let us not derail these forums to a grade school level (that is not directed at either you Mish or you Oldogtwo).

It is not engaging (for me) to read.

20. 1olddogtwo

It's all good in the hood.

Mish and a few others here are rhe encyclopedia of Western products. I hope to never need all that intimate knowledge.