1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow for my 2002 F-350 Super Duty?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tysonmatc2, Jan 25, 2011.

1. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

Hey Guys, I am new to this site and am looking for some input on buying a new plow for my truck. I am wanting to put the plow on my 2002 F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab Short Box. My current plow setup that I have been running for the past 3 years is a 1983 3/4 ton Chevrolet with a 7'6" blade with home made wings and and E-47 pump. This setup is a tank and has never left me stranded. My plan is to sell the truck and plow in the spring and use that money to buy a new plow for my F-350. Of course I am looking to spend as little as possible, but no more than $4,000 if possible. I work full time and plow on the side, typically doing 8 plow jobs every snowfall and more as they call on heavier snow falls. I am open to V-blade or Straight blade, if Straight blade the wings are a must, they save so much time on parking lots. The plow I was considering is a Snow Dogg either V-plow or 8' blade with wings. Input, suggestions, thoughts??

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

8'6" for sure minimum

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

8 1/2' with wings

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

western wideout although 4k maybe a little close to by the wideout

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I agree with everybody who has said you want an 8.5' plow on a Super Duty. You could get away with an 8' on the older body style, but you won't like it on a SD.

6. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

Sounds like 8'-6" with wings it is. Do you guys think I will have any issues with my truck being a 6 speed manual? I plow with a manual in my 83' chevy and actually love it, I have the 2 electric switches hooked onto my shifter, I am not sure if this will be a possibility with the newer plows. Thanks again! Thumbs Up

7. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I have a 99 F 250 with the boss power v 8'2" and manual transmission. I also have the handheld controller for it. Takes a bit to get used to but not bad at all. With the F350, I would recommend the 9'2" Boss Power V or Vxt if you could find one used.

8. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

What would you think about the Snow Dogg V-plow by Buyers? I can get one of those new not installed for $4,500.

9. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I don't have any experience with the Snow Dogg plows but you typically get what you pay for.

10. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

I guess I am not a heavy commercial plower, I do 2 parking lots in town for a business, 3 private vacation home driveways, and then one other private driveway that needs done right away. From a price standpoint is one better off going with a new Snow Dogg for $4,500 or a used Boss for $4,500. That seems to be the going price.

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with new, especially for the amount you plow. Trip edge V's seem to be preffered. Make sure you're truck has the 6k "X" springs on the front. I think manual will be fine. I would have gotten stuck 4-5 times last storm if I didn't have a manual. No rocking back and forth with an auto.

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I would look at a Boss V and then get wings.

13. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

Boss 9'2" VXT

14. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

I found a brand new 9'-5" Fisher V-plow that was a Demo for $4,500 does that seem like a good deal?

15. Too Stroked

That's an awful lot of plow for a few driveways, but Fisher makes a hell of a plow.

16. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

That's kind of what I was thinking too, I was thinking an 8'-6" V would be more practical for what I do.... I am in the hopes of being able to find a 8'-6" for closer to $4k if I can find a demo in that come spring.

17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Make sure your front springs are up to snuff before you mount anything. You want a 5200 FGAWR.

18. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

Ok guys, getting it narrowed down. Here is what I have found let me know what you think? Both are brand new from Dealers.
    9'-6" Fisher Painted V Plow $4,699 without shipping (I would have about $100 in fuel going to get it)
    8'-6" Fisher Stainless Steel Xtreme V Plow $4,415 Delivered
    Both include all wiring and truck mounts.

19. Too Stroked

Personally, I would vote for the 8' 6" plow. It will be a little friendlier to your truck and should be more than enough for what you need. The bigger one will just be a bigger PITA.

20. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

Kind of what I was thinking too. My only worry with putting a plow on that truck is getting stuck, but I will just have to be careful I guess.