1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which plow for homeowner use only...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rferoni, Dec 20, 2008.

1. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

Hello all. Awesome site here. I own a 2004 f150 4wd supercab and was thinking of getting a plow for doing my driveway and maybe helping members of my family. These are mostly res. driveways with a couple bigger country type drives which are about 30'x120'.

I have no idea about plow brands and what is available. I've done some research but there are so many how does one decide?

Some things I've thought about that I would like in a plow are lightweight, easy on-off of plow and able to control from cab. So just wondering what brands out there I could take a look at. I know a 1/2 ton isn't really reccommended but it's all I got and it will not be used in a commercial enviroment. This is going to be my "stepping stone" to see how I like plowing. Yeah I could go work for somebody but thats no fun. I've always been a I can do it type anyway.

Thanks for any info...
  2. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

homeowner plow

Many on here will recommend the snoway plow. IDK what prices are now but the snoway was about $1000 more than mine. I have the suburbanite and have no complaints. It weighs around 250lbs so there is little wear on the trucks suspension. Boss has a sport duty plow as well but it is 420lbs. Depending on your front axle rating fisher will put a RD plow on your truck. Blizzard also makes a light duty plow. There are many options so do some research on prices and locations of dealers/ service centers!
  3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Some lightweight plows are the Sno-Way ST or MT series which are soon to be discontinued. Theres also the Western Suburbanite and Fisher Homesteader (I'm told they're nearly identical), along with the Blizzard Straight Blade. I don't know about Boss, I couldn't find anything when I was looking for a lightweight plow. EDIT: I also don't know about Meyer. They do not have a dealer near me, so I didn't look into one.

My advice would be to find out which manufacturer's have dealer's near you, call them, see what they recommend, and ask them for a ball-park price to get the plow AND mount it on your truck.
  4. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out a few local dealers. Guess that makes the most sense...

5. steves32

steves32 Junior Member

I'd check into a snowdogg.They are an all stainless blade.And I have done alot of check around and for the money I think they have the best blow out for the buck.They are made by byers.Goodluck.I'm getting my new one put on Tues.
  6. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Ron, based on that I wouldn't rule out buying another older truck as a hobby/project truck. Something that already comes with a plow, see what's out there at least. If you have the space to park it you can save your newer f150 the wear and tinker with an old beater plow truck year round, not just in the winter.
  7. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

a beater truck....thats a good idea too...