1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow for Crew Cab Long Bed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Petr51488, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Some of you may have seen the truck i bought. It's an 08 gmc 2500hd Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel. At first i was set on not buying a plow, but then it got me thinking. I am able to get 2 pretty nice size lots and many more to come if needed. I was wondering what size plow to get. I was looking at the BOSS website and wanted the V-plow. I'm pretty sure you can angle them both ways, V, and Scoop.. Do you think the plow would be too heavy for the truck? And how much should i expect to pay for a plow like that with installation.. Or just the plow alone? Thanks for the help..
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Im not sure if the plow will be too heavy or not. But you will be looking in the high 4's to low 5's or so for a Boss V. You should also check the power V XT from Boss
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Thanks, that was actually the one i was looking at. Is that with installation? I guess my best bet would be to call up a few places and find out.. How wide of a plow do i need?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same truck as you but a dually. I put a 8'6" Western MVP with Pro Plus wings. Pushed for the last 2 nights without any problems. The plow is heavy though.
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Do you think they would give me problems with warrenty work?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

GM doesn't recommend ANY plow on that truck..and neither does Boss for that matter.

Probably have trouble finding a dealer who will install one....

But I'd go with a 9.2 V XT if it were me...:D
  7. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

did you say you were plowing run ways? that is one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg truck.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My truck is out of warranty. If I broke something under warranty I am sure I could find someone with a 7'6" I could hook up and bring to the dealer.:jester:
  9. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Our Western 8'6" MVP with Pro Plus wings was $6600 installed in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Not sure how much the Boss' are but you'll love the V-plow regardless. They are a little heavy though.
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 06 Chevy CC/LB and well, besides the fact I don't want to plow with it. Much too hard to turn and I just don't have any huge lots (maybe good for roads too), anyway, when getting my other plow fitted, I asked at the Curtis dealer.
    They said 7'6" was the max they would go with it.
    The truck already weighs like 7200lbs empty.
  11. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Ahh.. not the news i wanted to hear. I asked my salesman at the dealer a while ago and he said he might be able to work something out with the warrenty issue. Thanks for the input anyways.. I'll give a few places a call and find out some more info.
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I went to the BOSS website and every plow they make will exceed the GAWR for your truck. They dont even recommend a 7'6".....sorry man....You could probably beef up the front end and maybe then a dealer will put something on it..Good Luck
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

More food for thought...

I wouldn't trust the well being my $40,000 investment to the word of a salesman.:D
  14. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Now that's good advice!!
  15. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Me neither. lol I would do alot more research before i go out and invest money into something that can void my warrenty.
  16. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

if you dont need a V-plow to break up drifts I would highly recomend looking into a blizzard 810 or better yet the 8611LP.

I have the 810 for my 06 2500HD and love it, but wish I would have known about the 8611LP.
  17. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

I looked into blizzard too but i heard that they are heavy. The only reason why i went more towards the v plow was for the "scoop" feature. Its not really needed.. but how much would the blizzard run me?
  18. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I agree with Tman.
    I paid a little less than that a year ago for my Boss on my 97 F350.
    I took the plow off and installed onto the truck in my sig.
    I did this install, and it wasn't that bad as long as you have tools and basic wiring understanding. That way you could bypass the dealer red tape, and save $500.
    Just my .02
    Add Timbrens and ballast, crank the tbars and let er fly!:D
  19. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

The blizzard 810 weighs 950 pounds and the 8611lp weighs 1083 according to www.blizzardplows.com

According to www.snowplowsupply.com (my dealer) the 810 is $4834 + 500 for install. I paid $5,500 for mine installed with taxes last year from there. I would assume the 8611lp would be about $5-700 more.
  20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Plow? I would just put landing lights on that aircraft carrier you got there.