1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow for a new 2010 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Neil64, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Hello All,

I just got a 2010 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.4 to replace my 00 F250 SC 4x4 7.3. As my Meyer Classic ST7.5 and E60 won't fit my new truck I guess I need to buy a new(er) plow too.

I only plow family, friends and the Fire Dept. so I don't need the most heavy duty nor the biggest. 7.5 was fine for me. My 2010 does not have the snow plow package but it is a diesel and does have the extra HD alternator.

I am looking at used Westerns and a Curtis. If I can't find a used one, I'll buy a new one. I have heard that Fischer, Western and Boss are good. I have had good luck with my Meyer. So what do you recommend - sort of the best bang for the buck?

Thanks...

Neil

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Consider customer service and local support for picking a brand. You'll get all kinds of opinions on here, some legit and some from "tunnel vision" consumers.
    Whatever you decide, go with an 8' plow minimum for that truck. 7.5' might have been fine but 8' will be better. And you may not think you need a heavy duty plow but with that truck's weight and torque, you'll twist up a 7.5' plow quite easily. These are generally for half ton trucks and are not built as rugged as the 8' models no matter what brand.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I think a boss 8' or 7.5 since your doing very minimal work.

4. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Used

If I buy a used one, what do think of a Curtis or Western Uni Mount? It seems like you guys like Boss Plows.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I know nothing about curtis plows, but I don't think they will make a unimount mount for your truck, you would have to buy an ultrramount and then buy an adapter to make it work. I also agree I think you should consider an 8' blade and dealer support is important. All mechanical stuff breaks eventually and you don't want to be without parts. Around where I plow it is mainly western or boss, followed by fischer and blizzard. But that is in the twin cities MN. Good luck

6. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info and you are right about support. I had to get to my local Meyer dealer last blizzard to get the plow working correctly.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree on buying a heavier duty plow and 8ft. Now is the time to buy a used one if that is what you are considering,might be able to pickup a good deal. If you are going to take off the plow between storms the western ultra mount is nice for that.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss 8.2 v plow

9. ajslands

Nooo! No nooo you do not say that in here!!

9'2" BOSS is what you need! With wings!!!!! :p

10. ajslands

I'm just kidding GR! :laughing: you should put that picture I sent you on your website.

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I agree with Grandview. You can find quite a few of them out there used, they have great, simple reliability, and as long as your dealer support is good, you should have no problems running one with your diesel non plow prep truck. Plus, you will be amazed on how much the cut down on time.

12. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Distance

I did some research and it seems that the closest snow plow repair place is a Fischer and Meyer dealer 10 miles away. Next 2 places are Western and 12-20 miles. Next 3 seem to be Western and Meyer dealers. I have only found 1 Boss dealer and he is 60 miles away. Based on the support close to me I guess I should consider Fischer or Western. I have heard from several sources that Meyer is the least dependable.

I have found a couple of used Westerns uni mounts but I'd have to get a complete truck side parts and install. Only estimate I have gotten to do a complete Western truck side install including parts is $2100. This seems high to me. What do you all think?

Any idea on how much a uni to ultra conversion would be?

What is the difference between the uni and ultra?

Thanks...

13. ajslands

what was I Thinking!!!!?!!! You need 8 ft just to clear the wheel wells!!! Get a 8'2" v or 8'6" boss!

14. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Size

Every dealer I have called has recommended a 7.5 foot regardless of brand. Without the snow plow prep package, every manufacture recommends a 7.5 ft. If I can find a deal on a 8' I'll grab it.

15. ajslands

You need 8' jusb to clear your wheel wells so I don't recomend a 7.5' plow

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

This I can't help you with, but I will say that last year, when I looked at Western plows, they were talking knocking $1,000 off the price of the plow since I already had a Ultramount installed. The Ultramount is their newest mounting system. It is generally a very reliable mechanical plow attachment system. The Uni is the old system. With the Ultra to Uni conversion I had, there was a total of 8 quick disconnect pins holding that thing on. :dizzy: As for the price for one, no clue.

17. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

The ultramount is far easier to hook up, plus the recievers on the truck side are removable. When you have them off you don't loose any ground clearence. I would try to go with an ulta, you will have to on the truck side for sure, they don't make a truck side unimount for your truck, you would have to get an adapter. Otherwise a pro ulramount and a pro unimount are a very similar blade a-frame and quad. The hydraulics and hook up are the main differences. If you go to a ultra pro plus, they are completely different from the uni and probably a little more heavy duty than you need. I would still reccommend an 8' if you look at a 7.5 and 8' they isn't much differnce in weight, all the main components are the same just 6 more inches of blade material and maybe an extra rib or two. I can't see there being a huge differnce in weight.

18. swtiih

well put Tony

19. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Western

I found a good deal on a new/used Western 7.5 Pro Ultra Mount. The plow was installed but never used as the plow truck was wrecked right after the install. The plow was stored under a deck for 2 years and outside for the last 2 months. I know the truck mount won't fit my truck but the rest of the stuff should as the wrecked truck was an 06 F250. I did see the isolation module and a couple of wiring harnesses. Can anyone tell me what parts I should make sure to receive short of the plow/pump assembly. I have been to Western's site but everything is diagrams that I don't find useful. Also, do you guys/gals prefer the handheld or joystick controller? I imagine the handheld is most like Meyer's touchpad?

Thanks...

Neil

20. swtiih

never used the joystick, but no problems with the handheld