1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow for a 1996 Chevy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Nov 29, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My Grandpa has a 1996 Chevy 1500 pickup with extended cab, short bed, and V6 engine. The truck is in great shape for it's age with little rust, has 79,000 miles on it now. I would be getting it when I turn 16 (next July), but I am wondering what brand, type and size plow you guys would recommend and the prices. Thanks in advance!:waving:
  2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I'm not an expert by anymeans, but put a 7' 6" western on my '92 k1500. It is also a shortbed, extended cab. Even with the timbrens, I don't think I'd want anything bigger on there. Though I may try a set of wings if I pick up another lot or two. I have the V-8 so power doesn't seem a problem. I don't know how much torque/hp the V-6 puts out in terms of pushing.
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

4.3 v6 makes plenty of power. I've known guys to plow commercial with them, and another guy ran 33s for years, you'd never know it was a v6. the carbureted early ones were wide open to modifications, and the vortec fuel injected motors were around 220 hp, almost what a SBC made. In fact I looked at a truck yesterday, 92 1500 with 4.3 and a plow, 225k miles on it and the guy said he did a lot of plowing with it, ran a driveway route for 13 years.
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would recommend nothing bigger than a 7.5 footer. Brand is up to you but I would recommend Boss, but thats just what I prefer. All brands have their +'s and -'s. :drinkup:
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks guys! Anyone else?:waving:
  6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i would reccommend Sno-Way. They have lighter plows compared to the competition. It will be easier on the suspension.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not even think of anything over a 7'6" Plow. We tried putting an 8' on a half ton and DESTROYED the truck in 1/2 a season. Allthough I do drive everything like it's stolen or :drinkup: lol. Just a thought, we have had very good luck with Hiniker snowplows, so much easier to mount then the Western uni mount on my ford.
    Good Luck
  8. BobH

BobH Junior Member
    from CT

What plow to buy

I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab with 6' bed with 125,000 miles. Engine is small V-8 (305 cu. in.) I have a Fisher RD 7' 6" MM1 plow that I have been using to clear driveways for the past 4 seasons. No problems with this truck or the plow. The only option I have is heavier front springs. No need for Timbrens as the truck does not sag at all. I put 400 lbs. of ballast in the bed. Since you have a V-6, this plow may be too much for your truck. Fisher website has a calculator you can use to determine which plow is right for your truck.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I would try to find a 6.5 footer, for a mid sized truck. Simply because a 1/2 ton with a v6 is considered a car with a truck body. They just aren't built to do that kind of work.
    The only way id do it is if you put some 4.10 or lower gears in there, and then find as place where you can get a transmission fairly quick. For when that one blows cuz it will
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks guys! Now, steel or poly plow?