1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow for 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by c.schulz, Feb 17, 2005.

1. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Just ordered my Crew Cab GMC with the ultra expensive Duramax. When I ordered the truck I found that I could not get the plow prep because of weight limits to the truck.Well I didnt want to drop down to the extended cab because I wont give up the room of the truck for my other uses.So long story short, I still need a plow to keep up my drive and the other drives that I do for the neighbors.Cant put a big old Boss on the front but I do need something that can handle some good abuse.

Maybe u could look into the Blizzard 760Lt or a western 7 and a half pro plow both plows are light in weight and should work well for your needs. The nice thing with the Blizzard is the mounting set up pull ur truck in to it plug in 1 plug and flick a switck it pulls the plow to the frame then put in 2 pins and your done. I have a Blizzard 810 and it takes me about 30 seconds to get on or off. The Western also has a good mount I have a Western just like the Blizzard mount better. Both are great plows also u should look around and check out some 7and a half or 8 foot blades and see for your self what u like or dont. Hope this helps U good luck with ur dessecion
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if your just worried about your drive and some friends then you dont really need a heavy expensive option rich blade. A smaller bizzard, or wester, or boss would do you fine.

Now if your going to do more than a few drives......

You can run a bigger blade than what they say.

What are your exact uses going to be?
  4. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Uses will be mainly driveways.But the area I live in is rural.Some of the drives that I do are not the smoothest pieces of road(gravel).Or short by any means,some are a good 2000' long with a lot of heavy drifting.What are the price ranges on the lighter plows??I know the heavy duty units are about $3800-$4000 installed.
  5. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Get a Boss poly blade,very easy on and off and your truck could easilly handle one. I have an 02 crew cab, short bed with a Duramax and I have an 8'2" Boss poly V. It handles it with ease. The reason they don't want you to use a big plow is because your truck is a crew cab, and you could possibly have 6 adults in the truck while plowing. But thats not very lilely is it? Anyways get whatever plow you want because your new truck will handle it.
  6. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

I really love the Boss units.I shouldnt have any problems with truck.Im just worried about the warranty when it goes to dealer for repairs.All new vehicles have repairs ya know!!!

OK OK boss it is now which one???? Im thinkin 8' super duty.Comes with smart hitch and its only 107 pound more than the 7.5 light weight that will still need some options.Anyone know the price of the two plows??
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I have the Boss 8' 2" Vplow. It is priced at about 4200.00 installed. One another thing. the Boss Poly plow is actually heavier than the steel plow because the plow frame is heavier.Go figure.
  8. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Look into a snoway on that unit. I think you would be happy with the snoway its well built and much lighter than comparable plows.
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Get whatever plow you want, the whole diesel, crew cab problem is over rated. Its not a problem at all. I would not hesitate to put most any plow on it if it was mine. The smallest plow you want on that truck is an 8', anything smaller and your wheels will be riding in snow at full angle. Just get a "big old boss" no reason why you shouldent.
  10. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

With the extra weight of the Duramax engine, you will be limited to what size blade you can go with. By using the Quick Match thru Westerns web site, the largest western plow they recomend is the 7.6 ultramount standard....
  11. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

I had the same issue to deal with this past fall, I bought a new 2004 Chev 2500 hd with Duramax crew cab. Dealer said they would have no problem with me putting on a Western V. Truck has no problems and am very satisfied with the handling , had to crank the torsion bars up a bit though.
  12. Duramax99999

Duramax99999 Junior Member

Get a fisher X-blade
  13. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Don't waste your time with a smaller plow. The truck will handle it. If your dealer has any sense they wouldn't even try to make you put a small plow on it. The trucks are underrated anyway and I know my local dealer at worst will say take the plow off when you bring the truck in for warranty work. Even one of their plow trucks is one that is reccommended not to have a plow on.One of my biggest reasons is that with a larger plow there is a much smaller chance that a chunk of heavy wet snow will roll back into the truck, especially if you are trying to make a tight turn (and with a truck as long as this it will be even more pronounced) it really makes an awfull sound and can ruin an otherwise good day. Just my opinion but I'm sure others here know what I mean.
  14. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

get a 8foot western ultramount and you will be more than pleased pretty light but it will hold up also lighter of a plow and that big truck will shred it to pieces
  15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

YUP..................Most dealers are getting picky doing warranty repairs on plowing related breakage without the factory snowplow prep. pkg.

Some dealers don't care esp. if you buy the plow thru THEM !
    It don't hurt to ask your selling dealer beforehand.
    It may cost a few bucks more going thru the dealer. BUT if/when it breaks or you have a warranty issue......They will fix it with NO hassles !

It would suck blowing out a $pendy transfer case or tranny and NO warranty!

Happened to me with my 97 Chevy!....................geo :realmad:

Found out that there is a $250 upcharge on a GMPP extended warranty if you use it to plow !

BTW: A Western 8 ft. Ultramount straight blade is a hard working unit IMO and priced right. Mine is on its 4 th troublefree season and we get OVER 200 inches per year so you know it works hard.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2005