1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Quark3116, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Quark3116

Quark3116 Junior Member

Hello All,

I am looking into getting a truck and plow for next year and I am split between two types of plow's, I really like the V Plows but also like the plow's with wings like the Fisher XLS or the Western Wide-Out, those types, and just wondered what everyone's experience is and which one's they would prefer and why, I was thinking of the fisher XLS so I can tuck the wings in for drive's and pull them out for commercial, and I really like how just the bottom edge trips instead of the whole plow when and obstacle is hit. Really just looking for some feedback so I can make a better choice.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
  2. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I love my western mvp plus, the best plow ive ever used. As far as the wideout, ive personally never used one but the company i subcontract for uses several and the love them. And im pretty sure the only difference between a western and a fisher is the mounts and controls. But im not certain, so i believe no matter which one you get you will be happy.
  3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Western and Fisher same company I am sure they are real close. I have seen on other posts that the wide outs rip and are only made of plastic not metal like the Blzzards. So you might consider the Blizzard
  4. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Have never used a v or wide out so I'm useless. But I did see on Youtube that the XLS and V plow uses the same wiring. So you can unhook your XLS or V and hook up to the other. I thought that was pretty cool!

EDIT: I found the link. It starts at 5:00. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-oSBOcVfk
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. Quark3116

Quark3116 Junior Member

Ya, I thought that was pretty cool as well, I have been watching a ton of youtube videos just trying to figure out wether to get a V or the Wings.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Bigger question is, what are you planning on plowing?

You dont buy the plow becasue its cool, you buy to fit the work your going to do!
  7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

For large areas and parking lots the most efficient and best plow i have used is a Blizzard.

I am completely spoiled and wont plow in any of the other trucks. I have straight blades and V blades as well and the Blizzard blows them all away.

The blizzards are very fussy.

There are so many valves and electrical components involved that when anything goes wrong the plow becomes useless. And by far I have more problems with Blizzards than any of the other plows.

New or old you have to have plenty of spare electrical parts and a knowledge of diagnosis.

If youre not electrically inclined I dont recommend a Blizzard. You will get stuck at some point with it.

But I wont plow with anything else....haha
  8. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

trip edge on the fisher is real nice and the fisher looks like there is more ribbing. but i hate yellow. if they made a stainless steel that would look the best. the best plow like this would be a stainless with trip edge, ultra mount,steel cutting edge on wings and chain lift,and the western lights.
  9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I love my fisher 8ft straight blade. but I think in the spring I am going to upgrade to a fisher v plow
  10. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

If I were to buy a new plow, it would be the XLS. Never would bash another brand but my Fishers have been reliable, well built, and easy to service. Just my 2 cents. Good luck whatever you choose.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you ever plowed snow?

DIESEL PLOWER Junior Member
    from PA

well Ive been really happy the plow i got from dad a Boss V XT its a 9ft2in its really nice Im not sure if i would buy a different plow maybe a fisher x blade with stainless and wings, but im loving the boss.
  13. Quark3116

Quark3116 Junior Member

Yes, I do plow snow, I plow mostly residential with a straight blade, but want to upgrade for next year, and will not be choosing a blade just cause it's cool, obviously thats why I'm asking for some advice, I'm just not sure what was best a v or wings, I'm just really tore between the two, I'm really thinking of going with the XLS, like other's have said though, the yellow turns me off, but oh well, I have been looking at the blizzard though because of others suggestions.
  14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

toss a set of wings on your straight blade, and see what you think. it would be a couple hundred bucks well spent
  15. wewille

wewille Senior Member

The v is very versitile! I would say get the v unless the majority of your work is large parking lots. But ive never used a wideout or blizzard.
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great. The Vee/wing blades are not the best for a beginner. Wings are very versatile and a great choice for the "one man band."
  17. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

i have both types a boss 8.2 and a 8611 they both have there pros. we plow a few storage unit facilities and the v plows work well, for the big open areas no plow is better than a blizzard. the v plow will also stack snow higher than the blizzard
  18. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

stainless fisher

Fisher DOES have a stainless
  19. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I am up in the air on plows.I have been plowing since 1987.I started with a hydralic 8' fisher which was kinda nice if you got a little stuck since it would help you by angling it back and forth.Had that for 2 yrs.Switched over to a Western 8' in 1990.Never a problem.In 2006 Went to a 8.5' Fisher.The jury is out.But my new Fisher freezes up from moisture.In 16 yrs my Western never froze up.