1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow do I buy? Western or Meyer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kubotazd21, Jan 2, 2005.

1. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

I own a 2003 chevy 2500hd extended cab 4x4 with the Duramax. My local dealer sell both the meyer and the western plows. Which one do I buy? The western is a 8 foot ultramount pro. Total cost installed for everything is $4,275, plus tax. The meyer is the ez mount plus 8 foot also. It is $4,125, for everything plus tax. I could save about $ 200, and get the 7 1/2 footer instead. Would I be better to get the 7 1/2 or the 8 footer for my truck. How hard would it be to install myself? Are these prices on average or are they a little high.... :confused:
  2. nuts46

nuts46 Junior Member

IMO I would buy the Western, I think they are built better and the mount is very easy to use. As far as 7'6" or 8' I would go 8' with a ext. cab truck.
  3. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

8' is a must in a truck that size.
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Neither. I would invest into something reliable - boss or snoway commercial grade. Definetly 8'!
  5. GPB

GPB Member

Ive had real good luck with Westerns. The Ultramount is a really slick set-up. I can mount or unmount the plow in 30 seconds. Id also recommend the 8'.
  6. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

8' Western
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Its a tough call..........

From reading these forums..Folks either swear by or at Meyers plows.

The Western Pro would be my choice.

My 1st. Western lasted 10 HARD NY winters without any major problems.
    I sold it to my bud 3 yrs. ago and hes still running it.

I am on my 4th winter with my 7/6 Western std. straight blade and not 1 problem yet.........

Around my parts we get OVER 200 inches of "white gold" a year. So you know the plow ain't sitting in the garage collecting dust ! :drinkup: ....geo
  8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Western. Look at these board it seems more people have problems with Meyers, but maybe that because most beginners start out with Meyers. Maybe some one will do a search of Meyers and Western and count the problem and see what one is more problematic.
  9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Neither. I would invest into something reliable - boss or snoway commercial grade. Definetly 8'!

How can you say western is not reliable? Westerns been around forever. I can see if you dont like the plow but how can you say un-reliable.

I would go with the western 8.5 ultra mount on that truck. Good luck!

Well I now have the same truck except mine is gas. I have a 7.5 poly pro ultra mount love it. But if I had it to do over I would go with either a 8ft poly pro or the new 7.5 pro plus with wings. You may be able to get 8 ft pro plus the weight may be an problem? But before you buy look at the pro plus it is nice a few posts of pics check it out.
  11. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

go with a blizzard or a fisher both well built and easy to find. teh fisher u can find parts for reall easy. and they are easy to work on
  12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have 4 Meyer plows and 2 western. I do not have to do any work on the western plows. I replaced a shock on the western this year, but that was on a 1986 truck and I think it was the original. As far as the pumps, the western is better. Meyer is good, but you WILL become a certified Meyer repairman if you buy one. I know a lot of guys with snoway and I say "no way"! They break moldboards, cutting edges, and the list goes on. The Boss sure doesn't get any bad publicity, and the Blizzard sure looks nice, but I haven't broken down to buy one yet. I always buy used and plan on working them into shape during the off-season, so I haven't gone Boss yet. The western downfall is the paint. It will flake off, new or old. Good luck!
  13. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Thanks guys for all of your input....What do you guys think about the prices? Are they a little high in price, or is that about right...
  14. nino1025

nino1025 Junior Member

You might want to do some more re-search on putting a 8' on a Duramax. Deisels are heavier than gassers & with the Duramax a Snow Plow Prep is not available. You can put a 8 footer on but, I would definetley recomend a set of Timbrens or some type of front suspension mod done by your local suspension shop.

Go on Western or Fishers Web site and go into quick match & enter all of your vehicles info. It will tell you what plow Fisher/Western recomends. If you install a plow that they don't recomend for your vehicle and you brake something, your on your own!! If you use thier recomendation you can at least state your case to the company and say they recomended you to install it.

Oh by the way, BUY FISHER!! You'll never regret it!
    I have a 7'6 Fisher Minute Mount 2 on my 04' GMC Duramax Ext. cab and I love it! $3450 Installed out the door.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  15. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

wrong everyone i would go with the new western 8ft contractors blade thats is a truck that has soem bALLS
  16. salopez

salopez Senior Member

nini0125 is right use westerns imatch. however he is also wrong because certain years the dmax is available with plow prep, like '04 which i have. western says you can use a lighter wieght 8footer or a hevier 7.5. i used a 7.5 pro plus and then got wings. now i have an 8.5 and am within westerns paramaters. wish i had used it yet, but we will see how it works.
  17. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

there is two western's in one thread in the for sale fourm for $2000, one 7 1/2 and one 8 foot. worth the drive to northern Indiana. I got my ultra mount new last year for $2600.00