1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow could I use?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SDMFEric, Feb 27, 2007.

1. SDMFEric

SDMFEric Junior Member

New to the site and the industry. I have a landscaping/lawncare company in Northern Virginia now and I was looking into doing snow removal next season. Mainly just contracting with some parking lots and my own driveway, maybe residential once I have more experience. I'm just researching everything now to see if it would even be worth it and what equipment to buy. This area usually does not see large amounts of snow during the season.

So my question is what plow would be good to run on my truck? I have a 95 F-150 Reg Cab/LB with the 5.8 engine. I have always been under the impression that you need a 3/4ton or bigger to plow, but I was shocked to see people with Toyotas, Jeeps, etc plowing. Any help would be appreciated and any ideas on what else I should look into, such as salt spreaders, snow throwers, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

People use smaller trucks for plowing all the time, and not just residentials either. Granted, it's easier on trucks to do a bunch of residentials than trying to push snow at Wal-Mart with a Ford Ranger.

Many of the people here have 1/2 ton trucks, from any of the big 3 or Yota, plowing with 7 1/2' blades. Fisher makes GREAT light duty & residential duty plows in the 7.5' range. Beef up your front end a little (I never did with the GM trucks I had, and never noticed a problem).

Good luck!

~Kevin

3. mopar/hiniker

mopar/hiniker Junior Member
    from iowa

not trying to start a fight. but im new here too. and i cant stand the way my /2 ton is now. with the plow on it. i loved that truck more than anything with out the plow. it went though anything did anything i wanted with out a problem. i braged about it all the time. then i put the plow on it and it sucks. in fact i hate the truck now even with the plow off no power no anythind. so from now on im only useing 3/4 tons or higher. but hey its your truck u do what you want. dont get mad at me im just telling you what happened to me.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing like that should have happened. Somebody somewhere screwed up your truck for you, because a 1/2 ton truck will push plenty of snow without a problem. Sorry you had such a bad experience (but yes, a 3/4 or 1 ton is great for plowing!). Take care

~Kevin

5. SDMFEric

SDMFEric Junior Member

Thanks for the info Kevin.