1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow brand is better

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snow Rookie, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Snow Rookie

Snow Rookie Junior Member

I am taking the plunge this winter. We are supoose to have alot of snow here in the Great Northwest and I need to find a plow. My choices seem to be Snow Dogg, Boss, Blizzard, or Meyer. Now being in the mowing industry I have gone with the brand that has a quality mower and real good support on parts and service. So what plow is the best quality and parts support? Thank you
  2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

That depends largely on the dealer and not the brand. Some dealers for Boss, Blizzard or whoever are great, some aren't. Personally I'd stay away from Meyer. I have a Blizzard-parts are expensive. Never had a Boss or Snow Dogg. I'm surprised there isn't a Western dealer available to you as well.
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Get The Boss! Or get a meyer. But I like boss.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive had fisher for 24 years and Boss for 3 years both good, I like the fisher better. My friend (yes I have a Friend) has a Meyer. I have not owned one but I repair his... a lot.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

From the list.......Boss or Blizzard. The others aren't bad, but not as good
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What style of blade are you considering?
  7. Snow Rookie

Snow Rookie Junior Member

I am looking a a straight blade with full trips. What is better joystick or button controller? Thank you guys you being very helpful.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get the Boss with a handeld controller
  9. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

As I'm sure you know, dealer support is key. Talk to as many local guys as you can to weigh their feedback into the equation, then decide what features will work best for you (direct vs. chain lift) and make a fully educated choice. The new Meyer stuff is much better than their older designs. They made major changes over the past few years for the better, so don't rule them out if you are buying new. Handheld controllers are much better than a fixed mount joystick. JMO.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

11. ajslands

Yes sir! :nod:

plus that new alm controller that meyer has is intresting!
  12. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'm partial to a door mounted fixed control. It's a matter of preference, but I hate having a handheld floating around in the cab, dropping it on the floor, etc. Having it on the left side frees up my right hand for shifting and steering. I fabbed my own door mount for my Blizzard. I posted pics in another thread a while back if you're interested.

This may or may not be possible depending on the controller style, and for some guys they'd prefer a handheld or one you can strap to your leg. I guess it's more of what you get used to than anything. For me, adapting to the added controls on a Power Plow wasn't a big deal, but if I'd changed the location of the controller and began controlling with my right hand, that would have been a challenge!
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss is your best bet IMO. I personaly prefer I joy stick but, alot of people like the hand held.
  14. ajslands

Hold the joy stick in your hand then :laughing:
  15. NJN

NJN Junior Member

Has anyone tried the new Meyer joystick that changes color, thats pretty cool and easy to use.
  16. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Get a Boss, they are very dependable, I have a few guys that plow for us and have had nothing but issues with there new Western MVP's bad welds, bad pump Reservoir gaskets, tower assemblies breaking off at the bolts, bad Cartridges. Blizzards are nice but weight a lot, parts are expensive an the first gen Power plows wings breaking off.
  17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd take a close look at the new Meyer Plows. They look very well built (overbuilt IMO-which is a good thing), and seem to have addressed many past issues.
  18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

This is just my personal experience either personally using or working along side others that have had these plows...

Western... tough reliable, easy to repair and work on and they last for ever. Can't go wrong with Western and there is a reason why you see so many 20 year old Western plows still out there working today.

Boss... you can basically say the same thing about them as i did Western plows although they are not as abundant as Western plows.

Meyer... you will spend more time fixing them then plowing with them.

Blizzard... can't even get hired at the company i work for if you have a Dodge truck or a Blizzard plow. Sorry guy's from the poor souls that i have worked with that had them, pure garbage.

Snow way. Slightly worse then Blizzard. They fall apart in a couple years.

I know i will get flamed for this post . Have at it. This is just MY personal experience either using or working closely with others who have had the plows i listed.
  19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Which one of these have You Personally used and Which ones have you Run alongside...just curious....
  20. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I have only owned Western. Have run company trucks with Blizzard plows. Have worked along side all of them that i listed.

Like i said this is just my experience being around these plows. You or others may have had different experiences.