1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow-500' DW with parking-in the Midwest

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lesseik, Oct 1, 2006.

1. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

I am looking for a plow for my 77 Dodge 3/4 4X4 318cu, Can anyone make a suggestion. I don't have thousand to throw around, but I do have to move a lot of snow from my own driveway each season. Would a used `97 Boss straight blade be too much for this truck. Or, a older Western? Any information would be appreciated.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The year of the plow will not matter... old or new.
    As long as your truck is in decent shape you can hang a plow on it. (V-plow or straight)

I would recommend you get a 8ft to 9ft plow for your truck depending on your needs.

You say you remove a lot of snow already. How are you doing it now?

Price and condition of a plow...... So, your looking for a good used plow..

3. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

Had

Thanks for the reply, I had a 90 Ford 1/2 with a broken frame.. finally ran out of breaks. Too hard to stop backing up and I sold the meyers plow. I have a line on that used Boss 7'6", but thought it might be too heavy for the old girl. But I am not particular to the Brand, except in vehicles....

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The 7'6" will work for you just fine.
    The only problem with the narrow plows on full size trucks is when you have the plow angled all of the way over or you make sharp turns the rear wheels will be running in the wind-row.

My 74 Dodge 3/4 ton came with a 7.6 meyers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're probably better off with a 7'6" since you're just doing your own drive. And Snofarmer will tell you there's nothing like "The Boss" I'm not sure if he means the plow or his wife.;) lol

All kidding aside it's a great choice. Check to see how it's been maintained, corrosion in the electrics, water in the fluid etc..

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Corrosion in the electrics, and the volt meters (draw to much power or they short out) burning up the wringing harness as the alt is wired directly to the volt meter.
    Are the biggest problems for the older Dodge trucks.

But I think he already has the truck?

As for the wife lol...:waving:

I do like my Boss (plow;) ) But, I do realize that their are a few other good plow MFGs out there, even snow-way makes a good plow all kidding aside.

The wife (Boss:waving: ) has a Hiniker plow on her truck, and the back-up/ lot truck has a Meyer plow...
    My next plow will be another Boss.

7. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

Hinker

WE do have a Hinker dealer in town. But I really would prefer to stick to a used plow, My reasons are 1. I only do my driveway, 2. putting it on a 77 although it has no rust, a 318 and is a 3/4t. How do you justify the price of selling the package should I decide to move to town? Our Meyers dealer said they wouldn't even quote it as the Boss would be a better deal, imagine that.