1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow? 04 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by evenpar4, Oct 17, 2004.

1. evenpar4

evenpar4 Junior Member

I just bought an 04 Silverado 2500HD. It has a regular cab and the plow prep package. I am going to put a plow on it but I can't decide which one. If you guys put any plow on it , which would it be? I'll be doing mostly driveways and a few small lots. Thanks

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Start with the dealer closest dealer to your location. Service is everything if you ever have problems.

3. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Western 7.5 or 8 Pro Plus. It may be over kill now but you will be glad later. I got a 7.5 ploypro wish i had got a bigger one now and try to tell your wife you want new one next year.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

2500 HD I would go with an 8' or 8'6" Fisher. As sais above though service is of the utmost importance. So, talk to multiple dealers, talk to others in your area and see who gives you the warmest fuzziest feeling that they wil be there when (not if) you need them. :help:

5. Snowplow newbie

Snowplow newbie Junior Member

If you are plowing mostly blacktop areas or commercial lots I would say to go with a 8' X-blade. I have one and love the way that it scrapes on blacktop.

If you are doing gravel and dirt drives I would go with the Western 8' Poly.

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you decide to go with a western unimount, I have the mount and harness minus the cab command, silenoid, and the plug in cable for sale. I have used western stuff and so has my dad, beats anything yellow, blue, or white into the ground. :jester: payup

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Blade Masters, where at in Iowa are you? :waving:

8. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Ankeny just north of Des Moines

9. Trails End Lawn

Trails End Lawn Junior Member

same town that i live in near Des Moines. What part of Ankeny do you live in. im near Berwick.

10. The Boss

Finally starting to see some Iowans here! I thought me and ShannonS were the only ones. :drinkup:

11. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I live over by the high school and the post office. Work at John Deere during the day. It never hurts to have a portable welder handy :)

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Definately NOT just a straight blade.

My suggestions....

BOSS V
    BLIZZARD 810
    WESTERN V
    FISHER V

Most likely in that order.

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have a regular cab 2500hd with a diesel/allison(read heavy freaking combo) and am running a 9'6" fisher V blade. Your truck will handle as big of a blade as you want to put up front. A big western V or fisher V or a blizzard 810. I personally dont like boss V's especially scince I am an agressive plower. Put a big honking blade in front :nod: If you do alot of drives a back blade would probably help tons and it will offset the amount of ballast you need to run.

BIG BLADE!BIG BLADE!BIG BLADE!

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'll agree with you partially ratlover, the BOSS V, by design, isn't able to trip as easily as a tripedge plow.

However, don't let that fact alone steer you away evenpar4, they are a VERY well built plow with the fastest hydraulic speed out there. They also angle sharper and V narrower than a Western/Fisher. The overall 4" narrower also makes for a more compact plow.

BTW, ratlover, your a lightweight compared to some rigs out there! :rolleyes: But thats a good thing when it comes time to put the hammer down! :D

15. ratlover

from IL

I know my rig is comparitively light to others but it is still very nose heavy when compared to a gasser. That was my point, I have alot more weight on the nose if he is running gas so even more blade for him :nod:

The trip design of the boss is the only reason I didnt go boss and why I didnt even consider them. As an aggressive plower I need it to trip every time. I've ran a boss v so I'm not quoting a sales brocher. The controller is nice as is the speed! Although fishers new controller is better than its old modle. Man does the old school fishstic suck for the V blades :angry:

If you putz around lots and drives then the boss may work for you, lotsa guys just find the tripping a nussince at times. Lotsa guys dont really have a problem with em. Me, for what and how I plow, I would not put a Boss V on my 2500HD if i was given one. If you hit something fast though with it somewhat dog leged or scooped it will pop your eyeballs outa your head or tear up the plow and if it does trip its return acts like it wants to fling itself into orbit on the return. My fisher(and wester is the same) has tripped everytime. I've hit stuff were the whole blade goes flying striaght up in the air with my fisher but its not any were near as violent as the boss. The boss would brought me to a dead stop. Been there, the buttons on the radio still stick from the coffee going everywere.

It came down to plow like a ***** and buy a boss or plow like a maniac(like I normmaly do) and get a fisher. Decision made. :nod:

Blizzard really has my eye though

Edit: not making any gabs at boss really or anyone that runs em. Just being my normal smart assed self.....dont take offense :)

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

99% agreed ratlover.

Been there done that. Not a good choice for rough areas, or any high speed type plowing. I hit a 1" raised manhole cover at maybe 15mph. Had approx 2600lbs of salt on board. Broke 3 cutting edge bolts, 1 cast iron coupler latch. Bent, both Right and Left wings, center section, and T-Frame. I was NOT a happy camper. BOSS stepped up to the plate and helped with parts. This is on a 8.2 V RT-II (1994 era) and the damage occurred during the winter of 1996. Plow is still in use today with no other problems since. Once you learn the nuances of the plow, they really reward you with speed.

Just bought a 9.2 Boss V for the new truck. Still have to install it. It's currently in boxes in the garage.

17. The Boss

Allright ratlover, just a few things. I have a boss and I don't putz around lots so does that mean I should get rid of it? I have no need to plow like a maniac or be a smartass.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Ummm.....You have a straight bladed BOSS.

They trip just fine.

19. The Boss

Yeah, I know. I was just referring to the "putz" thing. I've ran Boss V's before. Not on my truck personally but friends trucks and had no tripping problems. But of course I wasn't plowing like a "maniac" either. :waving:

20. ratlover

from IL

A straight blade full trip is no comparison to a v full trip.

To try to clarify.......

You run what works for you and I'll run what works for me. I never said anyone should ditch what they have or boss plows suck. For the way I plow the way they trip sucks. Maybe the putz around lots wasnt the right choice of words. Sorry if I'm a bit abrasive, its hard to tell someones tone from text. I didnt mean that every body that has a boss drives around in low range at 5 mph. Refering to myself as a maniac plower is probably not the best choice of words but I am an agressive plower. I go as fast as the conditions allow(traffic, condition of the lot, ect ect ect). I'm not saying that you dont go as fast as conditions allow or you are a slow girly man plower. Dont try to read into things. If I had a boss I would have to reduce my speed in many of the places I plow becasue of the tripping. A boss will flat out not trip as well at higher speeds and becasue of this I would have to slow down if I ran one and had to be extra carefull when i ran one. I chose ground speed over how fast the wings move.

Every one please disregard any of my previous statements and read the following PC statment of my oppinion so as to not get offened.

Boss runs full trip fisher/western run trip edge. From what I have expereinced and how I plow a full trip V blade is much more harsh than a trip edge V blade. Certian situations the full trip flat out will not trip were a trip edge still does. I have found that with a full trip I have to slow down my plowing speed a bit and I find this not acceptable. I have found for the plowing I do(mostly larger higher speed comercial) the full trip is hard on the plow, truck, and driver. I also go through more coffee when running a boss V and on a side note coffee in the heater vents smells kinda nice ;)

Did I offend anybody with that? I miss anything or can anybody find a way to twist things and get pissed off? Any questions in regards to my experience with the plows and or anything plowing related. Anybody can PM me if they dont like me being a smart ass or have a problem or question about my persoanlity. Lets keep this post about plows

JMO

Oh.....and how bout them CARDS!!!! :redbounce