1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow?? 03 1500 chevy.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike0955, Nov 27, 2004.

1. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

Hello,
    I have a Sno Way predator 26 series on order but am getting discouraged since it has not shown up yet. It is a new series they came out with and I am supposed to have the first one around. I was wondering if there is another plow you all would recommend over the sno way for my truck. I am going to be doing my lot where we sell trucks and probaby 5-6 driveways. I was looking at the blizzard 7.5" also. Any recommendations, and are there any to stay away from? Thank you very much,
    Mike

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest against a Blizzard on your half ton truck because it has more weight on A frame hanging off front of truck than a Sno Way beacause pump is on plow A frame and not on head gear where I like to see it anyway. Also I have heard go things about SnoWay plows for what they are designed for though I have never used one myself

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have ordered the snoway, why get something different? Just find out why you have not got it yet and ask when you can expect to get it. I see no reason to back out.

Personally, the snoway would be fine for your truck, i have not heard much of anything bad about them. Snoway's hydraulics are also on the A-Frame like blizzards. The Blizzard 760LT is nice too, its made for 1/2 tons, so i don't know why someone would recommend against one :rolleyes:

4. Tarkus

How about a 1 year warranty for Blizzard vs 5 year for snoway for starters. Blizard, Boss, Curtis and Hiniker are the onnly ones with 1 year warranty, the rest are at least 2 years.

5. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

I like the idea of the sno way too, but the blizzard dealer is actually closer to me. What about price, are they close, I got quoted about $3600 installed for the sno way with the wireless remote/downpressure system. I have no money down on the sno way yet, I was just asking which one you all thought would be smarter for my money. We all know that warranties aren't all that meaningful to the quality of the product, so how do they stack up quality wise? Thanks,
    Mike

6. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Boss now has a 2 year warranty......but check carefully on your snowway 5 year "limited" warranty....like any warranty things that usually break are not covered...and it's mainly for manufacture defects.

You could put any major brand name 7'6" plow on your rig and it'll probably do you good.....I put a Boss Poly 7'6" on my 02 Chevy 1/2 ton....it's handles the plow great! I haven't heard any bad things about Snoway..... :waving:

7. Tarkus

It is about time if Boss finailly went to two years and it was not posted at their web site as of a few weeks ago anyway. Never used a poly plow but I here that they have thir plus'es when it comes to snow not sticking to them much. Boss does not make a bad plow either.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'd stick with the Sno Way. The down pressure helps take the weight off the front end when plowing and allows better scraping. I used a Western standard ultra on my 2002 1500 Chevy and it did very well for me.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Their website stills says 1 year parts and labor. maybe it just hasn't been updated. :dizzy:

10. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Their brochure has 2-years in.......my owners manual has 2 years on it. Their website must be dated.. :waving:

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

mike0955 - It looks like you and I have almost identical trucks. I just put a Fisher 7.5 RD on mine. On the flip side, I have heard nothing bad about either Blizzard or Snow Way

12. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

Well maybe I'll just stick with the sno way then. If it doesn't come in this week I might be shopping for a blizzard though. I get the feeling its going to be a long winter in upstate NY, I want to be ready. Thanks,
    Mike

13. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I just put a 7'6" super duty Boss on my 99 chevy 1/2 ton. I used it for the first time on Wednesday and it worked great. I put 400lbs of ballast in the back, I may add more. I also ordered a set of timrens, hopefully they show up this week. Breck

14. Tarkus

Personally I would double the amount of ballast it will handle and push better too. Make sure you keep front tires on that 1500 at or near max pressure because of extra weight on front end at times.

15. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

The tires are at the max pressure, I plan on getting more ballast. The truck works fine with the amount I have however, I think when we get more snow the extra weight will be a big help. Thanks Breck :waving:

16. caz41

caz41 Member

What is the price breakdown as far as plows go (Boss, Snoway, etc...)???

17. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

I've been running a 9' snoway for 4 yrs now. I've had no complaints. The snow really fly's off the lexan board. I very seldom use the downpressure. Mostly the first year. Now I pre-treat, child cares mostly, and it works just fine if not better.

Has anyone added turk-key wings to a snowway? I bought a set last year but the mounting will take some rigging.

Back to the original post, I don't see why you would want to carry the weight on your light duty front end if the snowway will do the job. I've plowed up to 4"-5" without a glitch and wet snow doesn't stick to the blade either so low weight is maintained.
    Sorry for the long post, best of luck.
    Mike

18. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

One last point that I'm sure is plastered all over this site.
    All these pieces of machinery are expensive. I wouldn't look to hard at price of the unit, at least at first. Service is my first checking point. A couple hundred bucks won't mean dick at 2:00AM on a Friday night when you need a part and the shops closed until Monday morning. I had this scenario come up with my first plow. Just my $0.02.
    mlc

19. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I paid $3800.00 installed for my 7'6" Super Duty Straight Blade from Boss. The 7'6" Standard Duty is about $200-$300 dollars cheaper. I went with the Super Duty due to the fact it was built a little bit heavier, and there is only about 50lbs difference in weight. The super duty had an extra trip spring, a shock absorber, and more cross bracing. Also the cutting edge is a little bit thicker. Good Luck Breck