1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which One?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bklawncare, Sep 27, 2014.

1. bklawncare

bklawncare Junior Member
    from Chicago

Hey I have a 2004 GMC 2500hd Sierra and Im about to purchase a Western Plow but Im having a hard time trying to decide which i dont have any account so Im trying to decide between a MVPplus V plow or a Pro Plus and or a Prodigy can someone tell which and why?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What? You don't have any accounts, but you wanna drop up to 6k on a plow?
    Can you tell everyone WHY?

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What kind of accounts do you hope to get? Or is this just for your home?

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

V if you plan on drives, prodigy if you plan on doing lots. I wouldn't waste cash on a straight blade.

5. bklawncare

bklawncare Junior Member
    from Chicago

So you saying get a bunch of account before i buy a plow or are u saying buy a used plow from someone

6. bklawncare

bklawncare Junior Member
    from Chicago

To Dieselss: how do u suggest i get into commercial plowing? And where do u suggest I buy a used plow?

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Sub-contract for someone else for a few years. And you can find used plows all over Craig's list.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You need get some jobs lined out So you will know what plow to pick and will work best for them jobs
    You be best do diveways to start off get feel of plowing snow then few years of that then jump into Commercial jobs

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

On your average drive way,I find straight blades are just as fast as a v. so if that s what you have the most of, a v is a wast money. If you have a lot of drive's that are long or you have parking lots that have a lot of cars in them, then a v is the way to go.
    If it was me buying a plow for an older truck and my first plow .A used straight blade is what i would buy.

10. dieselss

Ok, if this is your first time EVER plowing and your chicago, look to hire on as a sub using there equipment. I know there are companys hiring around there. Try that before you dump some coin and it takes you years to come out ahead

11. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

buy a used poly boss v plow. used Meyers for years, and there nothing but headaches. boss v . yes you should have a plow first how will you service any account you get? boss is low mantenince . jmo.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We've had Meyers for 20 years with no issues?

13. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

It's funny how guys will bash one brand or another.......I find this Very true with Boss owners.....:gunsfiring:

14. JustJeff

Yes, there are a lot of companies that would hire him as a sub around here, but you're not a sub if you're using their equipment, you're an employee. If you want to sub for someone (equals more money than an employee) you need your own equipment.

15. dieselss

H.J. I guess I was saying that wrong. The place I plow for, if your not a "full time" employee we consider you a sub. Just our termination.

16. JustJeff

Gotcha....