1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which one would you buy?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by OhioPlower, Mar 14, 2007.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

You guys know more about trucks than me, so which one would you buy? Im looking at 2 F350s one is a 03 w/ a 7.3. The other is a 05 w/ a 6.0. The trucks are identical option wise. Both are ext. cab 8 ft. beds. xlt's. The 05 is $1500 more. The 05 has 20k less miles. The 05 is ALOT closer too. So which one would you buy?

2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I can say that my 7.3L has been a very good and reliable Powerstroke, there are a lot of guys out there who have 6.0L that can't say that!

If you do decide on the 6.0L make sure the TorkShits transmission has been taken care of under Fords Service Bulletin/ recall, otherwise it could cost you a lota buck$!

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If it has the plow prep I believe it had that bulletin. Not sure if it didn't.

That reminds me is the 6.0 still in warranty?

Do they have the factory plow prep package? as far as warranty you may need that and for a bigger alternator /springs and whatever it comes with. Someone that knows the Ford pleas step in here....

4. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Both the 7.3s and 6.0s are great motors...but for the price, you can not beat the 05..I have One of the FIRST 6.0s with NO problems. I wouldnt trade my truck for anything..The 05 still has the 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper, and the 5yr 100k on drivetrain, which will last until 2010...For only $1500 more, and being alot closer, I would say take the 05..Run an oasis report on it, the dealer will do it for free that will tell you exactly what it has been in for! As far as the TSB/Recall goes, that is a free fix whether under warranty or not, if there is a TSB/Recall on it..To me the 05 is a better deal..I can name a lot of 6.0s with 100k plus on them still going strong with no issues, and they are pulling bobcat trailers etc everyday..Hope this helps, and good luck let us know how it turns out and post some pics!! :drinkup: You can't go wrong with a Ford
    *If it was me I would take the 05*

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

7.3 is old school power. 6.0 leaking pos is the last thing you want to buy. Most of my friends that have owned 7.3s and replaced them with 6.0 wish they never did.

6. M&M Services

from midwest

the 6.0 is not a pos in my opinion..I can name a lot of them that have NO problems what so ever! and they work HARD every day..The 7.3 is a proven motor with out a doubt but do you mean to tell me when they came out there was no problems?? I know of a couple 94 Power Strokes with problems...There are alot of happy 6.0 owners out there I absolutlely love mineAlways puts a smile on my face when i drive it...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  7. snowcan

snowcan Member

That 7.3 vs 6.0 fight goes on and on, I have an 05 6.0 and it has been trouble free, there were more problems with the 03 and 04. It is hard to crap on the 7.3 for sure, it's tried and true, but don't forget the 2005 truck is a redesigned suspension etc. from the 03-04, 2005 f series made a lot of changes for the better so think about that also.

8. M&M Services

from midwest

snowcan is right, the 05+ suspension went back to the coil springs, and it is nice!! Any update on which one you decided on?

9. natureguy

natureguy Junior Member
    from indiana

not so lucky

My 6.0 is nothing but trouble. It is late 03 build date in an 04 f350. I take excellent care of all my vehicles. I am fighting ford over warranty on my engine(head gaskets) I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and they denied my warranty. I have been die hard Ford guy all my life but this has really pissed me off. enough about mine, the 05 should have the built in brake controller option also, but good luck with engine.

10. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Look at my signature....

the 03 is a 1st year 6.0PSD and currently has 50K miles and pushes snow, salts, hauls brick, gravel and more all summer.

The balance of the F-350's (x3) all 6.0PSD and the NEW 2007 F-550 I just added also has the 6.0PSD.

The guys having all the 6.0PSD issues just ask what they use the truck for????? What MODS, CHIPS they added.

My company trucks are WORK TRUCKS, they trailer nearly 8 months out of the year 5-6 days a week averaging 600MILES PER WEEK. During the winter they plow with 810's (1000lbs) hung and load out with up to 3tons of salt. If there was going to be any issues with these truck I would have know about it by now!!!

Do not run away from the 05 if the price is right and the truck is in good shape buy it. Take it to teh nearest dealer and have they do a service history that will tell you if the 6.0PSD in that truck is a problemed motor. Remember, it could be the OPERATOR causing the problems NOT A BAD MFG...

I am so tired of hearing about how hella fast the new 6.4 Twin Turbo is. WHY is how fast the truck is SO DAMN IMPORTANT. So when you hook up to a load it spins the tires????? NO ONE i have talked to about this HELLA FAST motor has hooked it up to anything nor loaded the beast to see if the Torque range it where is needs to be over where the speed takes over.

PSD are for POWER................ not speed. I do not pay a $5K upcharge to have the speed of a gasser. I need torque in all conditions to get the load moving and keep in moving.