1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which One to Choose!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bdlawncare, Nov 24, 2011.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay guys, as many of you probably know im new to the snow removal business. I have a well established customer base and am getting better at pricing driveways and lots! Anyway lets cut to the chase, now i dont mean to start a huge debate or anything because i know everyone is going to be saying i started a war BUT.....

I am looking into buying another plow truck and i have narrowed it down to two in my area that are both in pretty decent condition. One is a ford 250 and the other a chevy 2500.. anyway my question is after looking over the details of the the two trucks which are listed below what do you think would be my best option.... im am not partial to any brand and believe they would both be good trucks just dont want to make the wrong decision. If you have anything to say about either trucks please go ahead, but keep in mind i dont have alot of money so i cant go out and buy new im sure you guys understand. Please include common problems with these specific trucks if you know of any so i dont get caught with a lemon.

THE TRUCKS

1998 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Extended Cab Short Bed
    Mileage- 135,000
    New Tires
    New Brakes
    7.5ft western unimount plow
    No body rust
    1 floorboard is starting to rust about the size of a hockey puck.
    5.7 motor
    towing package

Background - This truck is owned by the owner of a car wash that i know, he said that its only been used to plow his lot whenever it snowed, which i dont fully believe but could be true... Its not a big lot, and the upside that i see to this is that it definately got washed everytime it plowed.

1996-97 Ford f250 reg cab long bed
    Mileage 101000
    Needs front tires
    Not sure about the service record havent seen them yet
    8ft western unimount, new scraper, mint condition minimal rust
    No body rust pretty clean underneath havent got to look to good.
    TTB front axle I KNOW!
    5.8 motor

Background- This truck is owned by a landscaper, I know this sounds bad but i know the family and my family is freindly with them.... He got sick and needs to sell it.... I dont think he would get rid of it if he wasnt really sick... Anyway the truck is mint as far as the body the plow is also mint. I know you think that it probly saw a ton of plowing but... He told me that it was the backup he plowed with a dump and he only used this if something in his fleet broke... It was used summer and winter so only 100000 isnt that much. well anyway i like the truck it is reg cab and would be a little cheaper than the chevy i would think. Basically he told me it hadnt seen to many plowing miles... Again dont know who you can believe nowadays.

Conclusion- Okay i know you guys are probly tired of reading my post by now so i will make this short... I am not looking for biased answers such as chevy sucks or the other way around i am just seeking good information on both trucks and which one you think would suit me better.. Keep in mind that i will be doing mostly driveways this year

Thanks! Theres the chevy i will get one of the ford TOM

5V35P55R23n53ka3o2bbg65a63c1d5cdd1b10[1].jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Both or the Ford.

3. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I definately cant afford both lol.... if i could i dont know why i would post this they would both be in my driveway! but why do you say the ford bansky?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  4. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Thinking the same thing! But anyway get the ford those years are built like tanks

5. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys feel free to add in why you think i should get either truck...Thanks

6. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

id go with the ford, solid trucks in that year, built like tanks

7. earthtech

earthtech Junior Member
    from WA

I would go with the Ford

8. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

those are the chevys that have the frame problems arent they? and its a short bed..........eww. the ford after you break the front axle put it a monobeam dana 60 on it and youll have a total beast. front tires bad probably means ball joints ball joints means also do u joints. check for rusty gas tanks and core support and leaf spring hangers and ask about when spark plugs were last done and what plugs were used and check the exhaust manifolds. also check the oil pan and make sure its not rusty

9. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Ford all the way. Great trucks.

10. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I own and have plowed with the exact same Ford truck. It makes a good plow truck, only complaint is the front axle doesn't easily carry a heavy plow. I installed Timbrens on the front and it helped a lot. The 5.8 motor doesn't have tons of power but it has run well for me and it has 180k on it. Not much advice for the Chevy, just letting you know the Ford has done well for me.

11. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

I would go with the chevy my friend has a 96 Chevy 2500HD with over 175,000 miles on with a fisher and still running real strong.

12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Go with the Ford
    Less miles
    Body in better shape
    Bigger plow so if you wanterd to do bigger jobs the extra 6" of plow will help alot.
    Like alot of other guys said that yr was a tank.

13. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

5.7 versus 5.8

this ones easy I think go with the 5.7 that hands down is a better motor. Check the cv jionts on that chevy. Go with the chevy, ford just was not as good a truck back in 90's. If you asked me this question today 2011 its a different story.

14. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Frame problem? Can anyone elaborate on this... Where the problem was located what was happenin ect.... Thanks randombob

15. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

16. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Go with the Ford, The truck is a tank and the motor is great. But I am a Ford guy so I am biased.

17. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I am a Chevy guy, BUT, I can tell you that the front end on the Chevy is on the weaker side?. They just seem to eat ball joints and tie rod ends. I don't really know much about Fords?. I have a buddy who swears by Fords and has 3 of them, but his plow truck is a 94 3500 series. You can get front end parts for the Chevy with limited lifetime guarantees at some parts stores I believe? The aftermarket parts like Moog are much better than the factory stuff. If you do this, you will have a pretty solid truck. The 5.7 liter is actually a 350 small block engine and those motors are just about bullet proof if they have regular maintenance done.

The other issues with that year Chevy is the frame breaking right behind the front wheels. Not sure why you can have 5 Chevy trucks, same year, model etc. and all 5 will have the exact same amount of abuse. 1 of the 5 will have the frame issue and the other 4 are just fine?. Anyway, ggod luck!

18. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Chevy. You will just be dumping money into that ford constantly. I just had one for two years and it definately plowed like a tank but like the saying goes Fixed Or Repaired Daily!! I could barely make money with that thing because it was always breaking. I sold that tank before I went broke. My chevy has been great to me. Regular maintenance has been my only cost. The chevy is a way better ride to boot.

19. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I am afraid that the answer you seek will not be found here, Lol Some guys have great luck with Fords, some with Chevys, some with Dodges. In all honesty, unless you have a crystal ball, you will really never know which one of those 2 trucks will give you the least amount of trouble in the future. Go with what you know? Since you don't have a lot of $$, my guess is that you will be doing a lot of the repairs yourself. If so?, then buy the brand you know the best, as that will give you a slight edge when it comes to doing the repair work. Both of those truck types have been used by someone for plowing long before you thought about it, and I'll bet that if we were to locate them, take a poll, they will both have their fair share of guys praising them, AND cursing them out, Lol

Good luck and I hope you have the snow plow Gods on your side!

:mechanic:

20. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would look around more get something used from a dealer this way you have a warranty or get them checked out by a mechanic