1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which one should I go with Input please....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blaryslawn, Sep 10, 2010.

1. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

Looking at a couple 3500 dumps. First one is a 98 3500, 12' dump bed. 4x4. right at 150k on it with a 6.5l diesel. Truck is in pretty decent shape. Also has a fisher plow on it. the bed has wooden floors and no back gate. It has its minor problems, small vaccum leak
    this truck has definately been used but the "true" mechanical condition is unknown.
    right around $8000.
    the second truck is an 02 3500, 12' dump, all metal, 150k on it. Duramax/Allison, 2wd and no plow on it. truck is in better shape than the prior. The thing is, I personally know the person that owns this truck and he is the only owner and the only one who has driven it. never hauled anything more than a small mixer or a couple tons of sand, hes a mason. oil changed every 3k and trans fluid every 7.5k religiously. hes a very particular guy $11-12k

I am not looking for this to be a primary plow truck since I have three others but a fourth wouldnt hurt... hell im in VA, snow is never a guarantee here. Im thinking that the extra 3 to 4k is worth knowing what kind of shape the trucks in and the duramax/ allison combination. Just looking for a little input

thanks

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not a chevy guy, but I'd spend the extra 3-4k. The engines and tranny's in those 2 trucks are apples and oranges, not even a fair comparison. Plus the mechanical shape and maintenance history, sounds like a no brainer to me...

3. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

thanks for the input... I dont know much on the chevy diesels.... especially the older 6.5

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Go with the Dmax/Allison.... the best Diesel Engine/Trans combo out there IMO... and with a known history... no brainer to me...

5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I see you live in VA......... I assume you don't get a whole lot of snow down there where a 2wd would really hinder you?? With enough weight, they move a lot of snow.
    The Dmax certainly is th better truck but it would be out for me as it is 2wd. That's the biggest question IMO. No doubt what the better truck is but you'll have 2 wd and still need a plow.

6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

x2.............