1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which one of you Massachusetts guys did it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 4, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

OK Who did it I know it was one of you guys!:D

Letters to the Editor

Snow Magazine Online Magazine » News »
    Snow Plowed Into Family's Living Room
    By eagletribune.com
    Print This Story E-Mail This Story Save This Story

LAWRENCE, Mass. - Residents around the region woke up to find snow outside their homes yesterday. Maria Robles and her family found the white stuff in their living room.

Robles, 47, and her family woke up around 5:30 a.m. to the sound of shattering glass. Startled, they walked into their first-floor living room at 133 Water St. and saw dirty snow and broken glass all over the floor.

They said they believe the culprit was a snowplow passing the house, flinging the wet, heavy snow off the street and through the bay window in their living room, knocking over plants along the way.

"There were big pieces of glass everywhere," said Robles' daughter, Yaslene Rodriguez, 18. "We knew right away it was a plow because it was all dirty snow and we kept seeing plows going by."

The broken window let a brisk draft into the house.

"It was freezing," Rodriguez said.

Robles' husband, Jose Rodriguez, 53, covered the broken window with plastic, which appeared to be holding back the cold air later that morning.

Robles reported the incident to police, and Officer Eric Cerullo wrote a report. Cerullo's report noted that it is unknown whether a city plow driver or a private contractor caused the damage because there were no witnesses.

The snow also broke a first-floor window next door at 129 Water St. around the same time. The tenant was sleeping, and the window leads to the living room, said landlord Ernie Maisonet, who reported the broken window to the police.

Nobody was injured in either home, the residents said.

Robles said she planned to report the broken window to City Hall. She was not sure whether insurance would pay for a new window.

Robles said she thinks plow drivers go too fast down her street.

"They have to go slow," she said.

The family lives directly across from the Boys & Girls Club, which attracts children from around the city.

"I'm scared when the children go to cross the street," she said.

Friday, January 4, 2008
  2. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

wasnt me :angel:

actually i have done it before lol
    i plow for my town and ive taken down fences mailboxes trees and only one window lol

best one is flinging a guys snowblower 20 feet because it was a blizzard and i couldnt see it :dizzy:
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i think they should have a snow plow rule for towns. you hit two things within one year your done. no more plowing for you. saw a mailbox that a plow took out near here. no surprise there they hit it every year. duh.
  4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Ya the town plows should only go 5 MPH. Then the same people would be complaining 2 days later that the roads are not plowed. You cant please anyone. That a good 1 bribri. They would have gone through everyone in town in 2 storms if they kicked you off for hitting 2 things. Tell them to move to Florida. They will have to find someone else to blame for hurricanes.
  5. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

thats like me saying that everyone who puts aplow on a pickup truck should have to take classes on how to use it the proper way :nod:
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

guess they put their house too close to the road
    should condem the house and tear it down.
  7. topdj

topdj Senior Member

why would a privet plow be doing the street?
  8. bribrius

just think there should be some repercussions for a driver hitting something. i hit something i pay for it/fix it could have to deal with possible insurance claim or increase in premium.
    town truck hits something? what happens to the driver? not trying to put you on the defensive and my town actually does a exceptional job of snow removal but i think some things could be avoided. Anything having to do with safety should definatley be considered. So a driver plows lets say ten miles of side streets. Obviously more you plow the more chance you take of hitting something. so how many instances would you consider fair before discipline of the driver? I'm sure if you had a employee hitting things working for you there would come a point that you would get tired of getting calls and dealing with the crap and possible liability.
  9. bribrius

TWO houses. it says it broke the window next door too. not good. and she has a point if they are speeding through there with a childrens center across the street.
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I am gonna bite my tongue.
  11. bribrius

lol. i still carry personal auto it would cover me on some things.
  12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey Bri, I found that a commercial policy was CHEAPER then my personal one, and its great peace of mind. :drinkup:
  13. bribrius

congrats. not for me. mine would go up sixteen hundred a year or more. that quote was on two trucks for a million i havent quoted the one truck by itself.
  14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

thats 2 points for plowman.......:D
    i got a mailbox once blew it rite off the post...
    now thats what i'm talkin about..wesport
  15. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

what do you consider hitting something...your post mentions a mailbox being knocked down...
    lets consider the factors....was it to close to the road ?, was it a heavy wet snow ??, was it on a post that was put in back in the 50;s ??..was it on the post with a couple rusty screws ?...i,ve been doing this job for nearly 25 years and have i hit mailboxes...sure have
    and i'd like to find the guy who does my job who hasnt...dosent exsist

every town or city i know of has the same poilcy on that kind of thing...its called an act of god and therefore its an expected hazard
  16. bribrius

i was thinking of other things too. wasnt trying to make this a big issue over a mailbox but more of what happens and what is the accountability for repeated problems with damage to property or genuine lack of safe operating..
  17. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Wheres SnoFarmer????:angel:
  18. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Its Friday.....he's down at the senior center play'n BINGO.... :drinkup:
  19. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just want a rough guess, but how many curbs do you think he hopped to get there????:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  20. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I agree with this one!