1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which one is right for me

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lesseik, Oct 1, 2006.

1. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

I am looking for a plow for my 77 Dodge 3/4 4X4 318cu, 41,000 miles, Can anyone make a suggestion. I don't have thousand to throw around, but I do have to move a lot of snow from my own driveway each season. Would a used `97 Boss straight blade be too much for this truck. Or, a older Western? Any information would be appreciated.
    :cool:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lesseik
    Which plow-500' DW with parking-in the Midwest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for a plow for my 77 Dodge 3/4 4X4 318cu, Can anyone make a suggestion. I don't have thousand to throw around, but I do have to move a lot of snow from my own driveway each season. Would a used `97 Boss straight blade be too much for this truck. Or, a older Western? Any information would be appreciated.

From New to the industry thread...

No need to double post, as most people on here read all of the posts on this board.:waving:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

7’1/2-ft plow is all the front will handle. The wheel bearing will get torn up.

Sno framer – I don’t read or look out side the dodge truck, off topic sections.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

SnoFarmer"No need to double post, as most people on here read all of the posts on this board"

You Rodhall, are the exception to the rule....., not most people... lol.:waving:

The wheel bearings are one of the few parts
    that I get a good long life out of on the old 74..go figure????
    But she only has a 7.6 ft plow:D

5. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Yep i know that. :)

74 had the big bearing ends with lock outs 5 on 5 1/2 bolt patern on the half tons, 75-80 they used a "Live" axle end with a hub nut on the end, 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. 8 lugs kept the same bolt pattern, but made the same changes to axle ends. the smaller bolt pattern and the axle ends used on the live axle set put more (constant) stress on bearing causing them to fail.

72-74 and 81-85 are the good axles 75-80 had bearing issues and 86-93 had CAD( Central axle disconnect) issues. bad thing is i can still rebuild the CAD part of the axles in my sleep.

6. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

Well I sure am glad I posted here. Good info, and just to clarify... I have No plow now. Looking for a good used plow appropriate to my truck from northern MN. Sounds like I should dump the truck and start over. I don't want to have to worry about front bearings on a 4X4. I plow, but a mechanic I am not.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ever think of throwing a meyers 7.5 on there there lots of them for sale get a classic mount

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I wouldn’t go that far. It is just the 8 ft plows are heavier and can create more side loads under use on the front end. If you keep the live front ends greased, the bearings will be Ok with a 7 ½ ft plow. Grease the bearing every 3 mouths, inspect the bearings every year. Also when I plowed with my old 78 it was every 3 or 4 years that I was replacing the wheel bearings, in my 86 it is every 5 or 6 years. I also don’t have near the jobs now that I did when I had the 78. Last thing any Dana 44 front from 72 – 93 will bolt in. So if something get town up part are a easy find at most junk yards

9. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

My .5 cents

:waving: lessik,
    Do you need a full size plow or can you get away with using a ATV. or a tractor?

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

10. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

I agree, they meyers I had would freeze up and had it rebuilt a few times.

Would an additional leaf in the front help at all? Being a FT 4X4 are the bearing hard to grease? :)

11. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

No the ATV thing would be too slow/weak, I have a 400' drive way with two parking pads and a trail into the back field I like to keep open, you know just in case we get another mega storm.

12. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

Already answerd this one my self, They can be greased right through the hub.

Would an additional leaf in the front help at all?

Being a FT 4X4 are the bearing hard to grease? :)[/QUOTE]

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Yes you did answer yourself. They can be greased right through the hub, most need the needle fitting.

Having a 8-lug truck puts a little less stress on them, there is not really anything that can easily be done to fix the live axle set ups. The easiest fix is to swap axle end out off an 81 up truck.

14. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I guess I am ready to run with this truck. When/(if) the axel fails will upgrade to the newer axel at that point. I just bought a new Boss SD 7.6 RT3 smart hitch. The only used plows around were really used and they wanted too much IMO. So I caved and bought new. Will be having it installed Monday purple.

Thanks again! Will post pictures next week of the new set up. Should it be here or on the Boss forum?