1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which one do you guys think is better

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by red gmc, Dec 25, 2007.

1. red gmc

red gmc Junior Member
    from vermont

I am looking at two different mini led light bars. One is the SHO-ME Luminator LED Mini Lightbar AB12-1224-000 and the other one is Whelen Responder LP CON3 Super-LED Mini Lightbars WHR1LPP. both of the light bars are on sirennet but the sho me is about twice the price of the whelens. they both seem very bright and are both very good brand name. I was just wondering what everyone thought about the two different lights and if you have both the goods and bads about them and which one you like better and why.
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

go with whelen .... better constructed... better warranty.. better light coverage ... just my .002
  3. red gmc

red gmc Junior Member
    from vermont

does anybody have any pictures of thes lights mounted on there trucks or videos of them in use.
  4. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

Both these lights are good, but I would have to say go with the Whelen. However the Luminator wins at covering the 45 degree angles better when compared against the CON3 version of the Responder.
  5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Ok, as far as better constructed that particular whelen model is not. That model has a plastic base on it while the SHO ME has a cast aluminum base. I don't have eather of these lights but I have seen them in person and have helped install them. The light I would go with is the Whelen Responder LP with the liner super LED's it has a aluminum base and the LED's are much better. and at around 300 dollars this seems like the bar for you. They have video's of all three of these mini bars on www.sirennet.com
  6. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

You can order the Whelen Responder LP bars with either a polycarbonate base or an extruded aluminium base. Either base is good, but the extruded aluminium base does do better in cold. I am not sure though that you can get the aluminium base in magnet mount though, I would have to check.

The two versions of the Whelen Responder LP bar are a CON3 version, denoted by an R1 in the tag. or the Linear version denoted by an R2 in the tag. I do agree the Linear version is better, which is what I personally own.

As far as the luminator it is a good light, and is an awesome step up on Sho-Me's part from the first gen LED's they use so much of. The LED's in the bar are actually a 3 light segment, the outer two of each segment have a linear like optic while the center one uses a conical like optic throwing the light straight forward.

A few other minibars to look at are: the Federal Signal Highlighter, or the new Axixtech/Lightning X Falcon Xtreme. Both are similar to what you are already looking at.
  7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

the specific two your talking about, Id go with the luminator over the con3.
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

One vote for Whelen