1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which one Boss or Western(Fisher)???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by asphalt cowboy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. asphalt cowboy

asphalt cowboy Junior Member

I have plowed for the past 8 seasons and used a variety of Meyers plows and have had it with the level of unreliability they have shown me time and time again. Basically it's time to move on and what I'm looking for is time tested suggestions. Boss or Western????????wesport

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i dunno. i like fisher but that is the most common plow around where i live. what do you have for local dealers?

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Cowboy, welcome to plow site, listen, your topic has been discussed a hundred times on this site, I would recommend going to the BOSS discussion forum and the Western one and post this question there, or better yet, do a search under the two, you'll be amazed and the amount of info. BOSS and Western are both good plows, I'm sure which ever one you decide to go with you'll be happy. Again, Welcome ;)

4. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

All mentioned are good plows. Just go what has good coverage in your area and what your preferences are. I use to run westerns until the ultra mount then swithched to fisher because of several reasons. I use GM vehicles so in my opinion the ultra mount hangs too low eliminating western. Between fisher and boss I like the fisher controller better so that is what I now run and love it. good ground clearance ad love the controller. Just as fast as the boss and I have the stainless versions and like that look too. All 3 are comparable money...you won't go wrong with any of the three.

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I am a huge fisher plow fan. I had been using the 8' hd plows until the x-blade came out. Now I won't buy anything else. They are built to take abuse, season after season. Best of luck with you desicision, and hope you have the same success with fisher like I have had.

6. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan Junior Member
    from Mass

I've owned both fisher and boss. the only problem I had with a fisher was the relay switch under the hood. As far as boss goes, no problems at all, and also much easier to attach to truck with electric lift. No difference with plowing, but attaching plow on boss seems so much easier. On top of it all, Boss is a little cheaper here in northeast, as the name is mot as popular, YETT!! Can't go wrong with either as job is equal, but like I said a little cheaper and much easier to attach to truck. Also find controls much more accomidating. My 2 cents.

7. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan Junior Member
    from Mass

Hey snow, I use to have a 8 ft x blade the only problem I ran into was relay switch went on me, and this was 1st year I ownned it. Can't say anything bad about job it did though. After owning a boss though, it is Sooo much easier attaching to truch, because you just get close and electric lift brings it to truck. I notice with the Fisher, sometimes very easy to hook up, but if surface is not exactly right can stuggle for good half hour. Just my thoughts, also wanted you to know Boss in Boston metro area is selling for a little cheaper, because Fisher has always been the name in this area. With the experience i've had with Boss they won't be far behind for long. Just wanted to inform you, not to steer you away from Fisher, as i said both plow equally.

8. At my advanced age (birthday approaching), I give more advice then warranted:

When home owners ask about which furnace -- I tell them to pick the service guy
    first. There are differences but most are so similiar that one doesnt really prevail.

Jerry runs one of the finest with his Blizzard plows but I would have to drive
    1.5hours for parts and service. Someday that will change and I may reconsider.

Both of your options will move snow and rarely break ( if reasonbly maintained).
    Maybe you can look at what is servicable and where you can get parts.
    And, who will help you when it is after 5pm or a weekend ??

I have had both and they are good plows. Left a Meyers 20 yrs ago.
    I think we are going to see some big design changes in the next few years.

Consider a good used plow unless you have great faith in the weatherman and
    plenty of contracts.

Ask the Plow sites what the strong points are of (their) favorite plows.
    tc

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'd go Boss. I've owned fisher MM1 and I now have a Boss. Looking at the fisher (my friend has it now) and my boss side by side I can see a lot more thought went into the engineering of the plow. Just notice how the A frame attaches to the mold board on the Boss as opposed to the fisher.

AND the attchment system on the Boss beats the fisher hands down.

10. Michael M

Michael M Member

BOSS! Both plows are very good. The important thing is where to get service in the event you have a problem. You need a dealer that is close by and is ACTUALLY open during a snowstorm. I own a BOSS and I would not buy anything else. Within three years BOSS will own the snowplow industry.

11. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

I love my Sno-Way.....

You should give them a look:nod: