1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which one, Blizzard or SnowEx?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneWolf8o, Sep 20, 2015.

1. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

New member here, hi to everyone and thanks for all the great info on here. Have been learning a lot reading everything on here for the last two weeks and finally decided to join.

On to my question. I have a 2011 Ram truck I'm going to be putting a plow on and was already to drop the hammer on the blizzard 7600lt unit but Ive been reading that snowex is basically taking over. So which one is better to get the blizzard 7600lt or snowex's 7600rd?

SnowEx company is making it sound like its a better design then the blizzard. I notice the blizzard is 465 pounds and snowex's is only 406 pounds and the ballast required is a lot less. Is it really a better design or is cost of materials causing the company to lower quality? I do like how the snowex's pump it mounted higher. Snowex is also two inches shorter which I'm sure has a part of the lighter weight and the cutting blade is better.

So what one should i get? From the photos I see I think its more then just a color change.

Thank you for any help

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

As a guy that ran blizzard power plows for 13 years, I'd say go with the western wideout. I know it not one of your choices but it's the best expandable plow out there currently.

Jmo.

3. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Well the thing is I work at a small engine repair place and my boss is a vender for blizzard now snowex. I'm getting it at cost so needless to say I'm going with one or the other.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming this is a 1500, I would still say whatever you pick, get a 8ft.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If I could get a blizzard or snowex at cost, I'd still get a boss

6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

First of all, the op is talking about 400lb plows so he obviously isn't looking at an expandable. I just replaced two trucks and I saved about $800 per plow going with Blizzard over Snowex. Blizzard needs to get rid of stock.

7. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Thanks sven1277

Your saying blizzard though in your case because of the saved money. In my case it doesn't matter since I can get either for coat. Which will be cheaper then and additional money off to move product.

If money wasn't a issue would u still have picked blizzard over snowex?

8. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

And it's a 1500 Ram.So heavy duty plows or out.

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Go with the snowex. less moving parts/ better ground clearance. I would also get a leveling kit for that 1500 to get that front end up.

10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Right now its hard to compare the 2, snowex just came out and no one has plowed with them yet other then testing. Hopefully they made changes for the better but you never know until us plow guys start using them.

11. SnowGuy73

In that case, Boss!

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I could be wrong but the snowex looks like it would be broke on the first outing with me. Reminds me of snow wolf

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Snowex has taken the blizzard mounting system and improved on it some. In fact, dd blizzard plows are supposed to be able to use the automatixx hookup. If money isn't a concern, I'd go snowex. They're built very similarly to blizzard with some improvements. My dealer also carries both. They know there stuff and liked the new gray plows.

14. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Didn't realize the new design hasn't been tested yet. So this winter will be it's first.

15. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Thanks for the info

16. SnowGuy73

I was never a fan of the ph1 and the ph2 sat too low.

17. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

WOW! Lots of comments on this one.
    First off you need to find out if your boss can still get the Blizzard plow. There is not new stock being produced so the Blizzard would need to be left over from last year or be in stock with a distributor still getting rid of stock.
    The 7600LT Blizzard was a fine plow. The SnowEx 7600RD is close to the same plow but a little different in design. They are so close it's really not worth fretting about. The color might be what most affects your choice..
    If you are going to knit-pick here goes ...
    The Blizzard is a taller, heavier plow with a thicker cutting edge. The SnowEx attaches without walking to the passenger side of the truck and has an automatic kick stand. SnowEx has the pump and lift cylinder on the "light tower" for reduced exposure. Blizzard has the pump and lift cylinder on the A-frame to keep the air flow to the truck from being blocked.

18. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the blizzard yesterday. The distributor ran out of the 7600 but had the 8000. So I went with that. Thanks everyone for the info.

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I would have guessed that your boss wanted more new snow ex on the road for people to see but I think you went the smarter route with a proven plow
    Me I'm a western guy
    Good luck