1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which new plow to get? Fisher or Boss?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

So this year I am getting a new truck for plowing next year.. It is a 1999 F350 7.3 diesel and it has boss mounting hardware on it with a controller for a straight blade. What I want to do is either get the boss Power-V XT blade because i really like it and the mounting equipment is all the same, just need the plow and controller. The only thing is is that ive always been a fisher guy and only had fishers and i love them...sooo

Option 1- 8'2" Boss Power-V XT plow brand new with a two year warranty. weighs 785 lbs. I was quoted $3,685 ready to hook up to it and drive away. Not sure if that includes the controller or not though.. and i would not need any of the truckside dont forget.
    OR

Option 2- I found a really nice used fisher 2004 model MM2 EZ-V 8.5'. This would come with the wiring harness, pushplates and everything. weighs 808 lbs. The guy only used it on his personal dirt driveway. It is in very good shape and only 2,500 for everything.

The advantages of getting the boss would be the fact that it is brand new and comes with a two year warrantee. and not to mention it looks really sweet :bluebounc and i have heard a lot of good about these plows. and it is six years newer.

The advantages of the Fisher is that it would be $1,185 cheaper, 4" bigger, little use, the fact that its the brand ive always liked, has a trip edge instead of full trip, and more dealers close by. One thing that worries me is the extra weight of the fisher since i have the deisel engine. Trying to keep the weight low is a huge priority for me.

The Fisher is 3 hours away though. I cannot find ANY used v-plows in my area and i have been looking for about a year.
    I appreciate all the input you guys can give me
    Thanks,
    Jesse

IMG950180.jpg

2. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Fisher!!!!!!!

3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

haha i agree but is that because your thinking of the brand or the actual deal that im getting on the two?

4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Thinking about the brand. I'm a die hard fisher guy. Them red plow's are only good for boat anchors. lol:laughing:

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

after buying my boos i wouldnt buy any thing else. every one that has driven my truck says its the fastest most reliable plow they have used.i used mine for 2 seasons and blew one hose that was my fault!

6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yeah i can tell that the straight blade boss that it came with is very touchy and responsive. It does seem like a nice plow but i will be selling it to get a V plow

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss is simply superior. And I'm a guy that has been plowing with Fishers for years. That's a great price for a great plow. But I would get the 9-2.

The EZ-V is less bad than the XtremeV, but it's still a chain lift Fisher. One tremendous, un-arguable flaw with the EZ-V is the gap in the cutting edges in the center. There is a rubber filler in there that is prone to tearing. It also doesn't scrape very well. There are guys on here going through several per season.

Here's a little reading for you.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=95111

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=100340

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=84612

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think 23 pounds should be a deal breaker.....But..You should not base a plow purchase on how Sweet the plow looks on the truck eather....A plow purchase should be based on Dealer support,Reliability, What you are using the plow for...I am a Fisher guy...But in this case i would have to go with the Boss..Ouch that hurts to say..Did you hear that palmer..:laughing::laughing:...

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So there's hope for you yet LOL.....

10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

haha yes i know, i am obviously not letting the look of the plow effect my decision at all. I guess it seems like the majority of people like the boss V-plows better.. Even with the price difference? And how good of shape the fisher is in?

And as for the dealer support, i have several fisher dealers in the area that i have worked with before, but only one boss dealer thats in the area.. and for the warrantee work i would have to take it an hour and a half away because they have by far the best price to buy the plow.

And for plowing i am doing mostly small commercial lots where it would be extremely beneficial to have a v plow. I know a powerplow would be better for what i am doing but it is a lot more money and a looot more weight so i have already ruled that out of the equation unfortunately.
    Thanks for all the help you guys have really helped my decision.. Like i said before, i have always loved fisher and never imagined owning something else, buuut the boss sounds really tempting right now..any more input would be great also.. does everyone have the troubles with the EZ-V not scraping well?

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Thanks for all the threads, those helped a lot

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help. Wish I had done my homework before buying the Fisher.

13. the new boss 92

I have heard the fisher plows aren't the best trip edge because you have to wear the back down before they scrape well, imo boss is the way to go.

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Just get a boss! They ae easy to diagnose, have direct lift, and they are red!

15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

No doubt.

Boss.

16. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I think either way you choose to go, you'll be happy!

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, the trip edge is the best part of Fisher. Proven design, works great. Everyone has a different opinion on the best way to "break in" the cutting edge, but none of the pre "X" blade style blades scrape very well. The X and XV don't have a wearable base angle, so you have to run a cutting edge.

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get the Boss

19. the new boss 92

usr from what i have seen, i think fishers is a good blade but they scrape like garbage compared to my boss. i amin now way bashing anything about the rest of the blade but from what i seen i would consider buying a myer before a fisher, and that wont happen for a while! That just came out of a boss/western guys mouth so noone take anything personal!:nod:

20. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

for the past 20 years before i got my 1st Boss v-plow, i was a die hard western guy,and they were made within 10 miles from where i used to live, then i got my first Boss V-Blade, and have got 2 more since, will never get anything but a Boss, have 4 hard seasons (not this past one though) on the first one with 0 problems, can't say that with the first western v blade, had many problems the first year and beyond