1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which model jeep?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by darood01, Sep 6, 2011.

1. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

I currently have a 1997 jeep wrangler with a plow on it and I was wondering what the best new/newer model jeep would be?

Currently looking at a 2008 jeep wrangler sahara.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you havde the 4.0L you will miss the torque

3. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

I have a 4 cylinder

4. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

2004 Rubicon 4.0 six with auto, great plow vehicle, locking axles and away you go

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I was wondering about the torque on the V6 too. I used to use a YJ with the 4.2 and at first I missed the grunt that motor had when I went to the TJ with the 4.0 Now they have a 3.7 :mad:

6. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

The 4.2 had more power than the 4.0? I did not know that.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya the 4.2 was like 205ft/lb AND it happened at 1,200 RPM

the 4.0 200 ft/lb BUT it was around 2,200 RPM BIG difference when plowing

*note all values are from my memory yours may very.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Funny how design paramiters change the YJ was the last of the farm tractors you could drive on the road and the TJ was the first of the Urban Wranglers.

88-90 177 hp/ 224 lb·ft 1255rpm
    91-03 190 hp /225 lb·ft varies slightly due to stroke variness
    04-06 190 hp/230 lb·ft @3K BIG differance

Or so claims the resident "expert" LOL

10. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

I guess my YJ being a farm tractor is why I enjoy it so much, and why it plows so well!

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And why I just bought another one.:salute:

12. Gman96

Gman96 Junior Member

What plows are you guys putting on these jeeps, I'm looking at an 05 tj and been looking for recomendations on plows

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You have a bunch of choices for your jeep. the one with the least effect on approach angles is the Sno-Pro (Curtis.) Snoway offers a unit with Down Pressure and many other manufacturers offer a unit. Before you start picking a plow go look for a dealer. Support is critical and deciding you like BIGplow before finding out what is supported locally can be a mistake. Parts can be shipped in from anywhere but experienced technicians with the support parts and tools are invaluable to a snow mover. So unless you have a shop, experience and inventory yourself find a dealer that is well stocked and has a good reputation preferablley open 24/7 when it snows and buy a unit he supports.

I will be installing a Curtis (Sno-Pro) on the new YJ. I want to retain approuch angles and they are the only one still offering a mount.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

For future reference Meyer offers a mount for the Drive Pro plows for a YJ #17082DP

17082DP install sheet

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Appreciate it, I'd missed that.

Still think I will stay with the Sno-Pro. I like the mounting system both function and apperance. I am fond of enclosed hydraulics, and I like the 400 lbs weight in a 7 foot poly.

16. wpeterson47

wpeterson47 Junior Member

Stay away from 05-06 Rubicons, or at least be aware of the OPDA issues for which there are no factory solution at this time. Jeep/Wrangler forums will provide tons of info on the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly).

17. IndoorPlower

IndoorPlower Junior Member

I have 12 jeep wrangler from CJs to the new JKs and i have used all them in auto with 6s not 4s. I want to say if you can afford a new jeep, GO WITH THAT. They are awesome and so far as the best with the traction control. I run 7' boss plows and 7.6 poly plows on my Jks and TJs. I run old renegades, YJ saharas and JK saharas and 1 sport TJ. On the CJs I recommand Meyers and TJs and Jks Boss all the way. I have been using jeeps for since I was 16.