1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Mini Light Bar?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by raceyz125, Oct 9, 2009.

1. raceyz125

raceyz125 Junior Member
    from IL

I am not sure what mini light bar I should get:
    Sho-Me 18" bar with Mini LED 's
    OR
    Wheelen Responder LP with Con3's
    OR the newest option.....
    SpeedTech STL Raptor with Gen 3 LED's

Not sure which one. All around the same price Looking for thoughts on each, good or bad.
    Thanks for the input.
    Kipp

2. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

whelen by far the best i got a mini edge with alley and take down lights and 4 strobe tubes ussmileyflag

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would go with the GEN3. My new light has those in it, it should be installed probably next week.

4. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I love my sho me.

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

The Whelen bar has gen 3s as well. I dont like the con3s much though. There is another version of the responder thats about $50 more I think, Thats the one to get.

Also, id be willing to bet the sho me had gen 3s as well. Its pretty much the standard in LED warning lights.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Whatever your choice, you NEED this.....:nod:

[​IMG]

Which I just happen to be selling! Brand new & in the box. :D

7. stroker79

Lmao..........................

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I couldn't resist....

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Go with the linear leds and go whelen.. Sho me and the others are just copy cats and use older led technology and that's usually why they cost less.

This is the bay you want its like there linear light heads.
    [​IMG]

10. stroker79

Yeah thats the one. Aad you can get the clear housing for it too and it looks real good.

11. Grassman09

Yea i was going to run a clear lens and pop in some of my blue linear 6 leds. Couldn't be bothered thou. you need to seal that lens as moisture gets in and fogs it up. I put a bead of silicone all the way around it and at the screw hole.

12. Grassman09

I'm thinking of these for on of my other rigs. again you can switch these leds out as they are just corner leds from a liberty bar I think. I collect whelen led products. LOL

[​IMG]

13. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

14. Grassman09

Those look like whelen's con 3's but with a diffuser of some sort. Only other co that makes good stuff is Federal signal.

15. SafetyLighting

I'm curious Grassman09, what warning lights do you run now? What does a product do to make your "good stuff" list?

16. Grassman09

Whelen Liberty 4' and 1'
    Tir 3
    Whelen linear Led 500 series
    Whelen 400 series
    whelen responder linear
    Used to have some par 32's on a trailer.

Hella Hid as200 HID work lights and HId driveing lamps..

You have to admit that sho me and a bunch of the other no names just copy whelen and federal signal? Look how similar some of there stuff is but its just not as bright does not pack much punch in terms of light output especially during the day. Sorry if you sell the off brand stuff and hate me because i bad mouth them.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  17. raceyz125

raceyz125 Junior Member
    from IL

So many choices. What to do, what to do???:dizzy: Kind of like the soundoff bar. Sirennet.com, has it, good price also...:confused:
    Kipp

18. SafetyLighting

Well first of all I sell Whelen, Code3, Federal, SVP and SoundOff, among many others. Not only do I sell these brands, I install them as well. So I know a lot of the products' capabilities and shortfalls firsthand. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I was not faulting your opinion. I was simply inquiring as to what products you had experience with. As far as hating you, I don't even know you, so that statement was pretty ignorant.

Back on topic, what works for one application doesn't necessarily work in another. If you are looking for a high output mini-bar and cost is not a factor, then buy a Whelen Mini-Liberty. If you are looking for a lower cost light with an all around great light output than try the SoundOff Mini-Pinacle. I'll bet you won't be disappointed. As I stated, I'll offer a satisfaction gaurantee.

19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Obviously Dave, you're referring to the older gen1 led bars, which they still sell for some reason. I agree, they suck. But you wouldn't make this statement had you seen the luminator in action...

Well said. :nod:

20. Grassman09

This one Wiz? Looks like Con'3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MXsGmTl3KmM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MXsGmTl3KmM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What about the justice bar I was going to get a mini one and I was told the responder is better.