1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Meyers to get ? express or not

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmhconst, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rmhconst

rmhconst Junior Member
    from va

I have been scraping for 12 years in Va, several bank and small business lots. I have had a straight 8 1/2' meyers 15 year old hitch system.....I got a 2004 Ford F250 V10 #5200 ft axel and I am going to get a new plow now too ! Here is my logic and rational....GIVE ME THAT FEED BACK, That WISDOM from EXPERIENCE.... I can choose from Western, Boss, Meyers and Curtis...Curtis just does not impress me, motor is on bottom as opposed to being up at radiator level, Meyers and Curtis are local.....Western and Boss are 45 minutes away so WHEN there is a problem only meyers is local enough to be of ANY HELP AT ALL. So on that basis alone i got to go with Meyers. However, both Boss and Western require you to line up two BOTTOM brackets on hook up, Boss is automatic from there, Western is ok. The Meyers EXPRESS mount seems to be a world or three ahead in the hook up department. You pull in UNDER 2 top mount hooks, plug, switch, and install one saftey pin and go. NO LINING up of bottom unseen 2 brackets...as in boss and western. THE BOSS HAS A HYDRALIC LOWERING ARM as opposed too the chains on meyers,,,I reason that the chains are a WHOLE LOT more versital ...futher up and or down as the case may warrent..?.

Now I choose Meyers Easy Mount Express for future local service, and the EASIEST hook up out there. I decide on the 7.5' blade w/ scoops...as opposed to a "V" plow.. average snow is 2" to 6" inches in Va. I always swore that if I bought a plow it would be a V blade.... but having a 7.5' blade will make driving on the road w/ local morons a lot safer.... the pro wings will pin on easily and extend my 7.5' to upwards of 8'...so i'll notice no real difference from my 8.5 blade that I have now. AND THE prowings will REDUCE that over spill when trying to take too much while moving the snow to the side of a larger lot (as in moving snow from left to right and not pushing all to one end).. that the pro wings will make piling at the end of a lot a lot easier ... GIVE ME SOME ADVICE...will the 7.5' w/wings, macdaddy hook up, serve me well into my later years of life(I am 39.75 now). That express mount has go to be the EASIEST hook up out there ? AND THE LOCAL GUY buts this plow at $5,500 installed w/intense negotiating.... I can get this w/out deflector +shipping +drop fee(delivered to a non dealer= 5 percent fee) from angelos uninstalled for about $4,750 delivered to here.... AND AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING that w/ my NEW trailer hitch salt spreader will hit the side walks as i drive by them, thus elimaniting that walk push spreader ?
  2. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

If you have a Hiniker dealer in your area, take a look at them. If you take a look at the Hiniker threat, everyone that has one loves them. They have good equipment and innovative ideas.

Just my opinion.
  3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

My question is what in the world is a "Meyers Snowplow" lol. :drinkup:
  4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

In my experience with Meyer, the only thing EXPRESS about them will be the mount. The pump sure isn't. The pump on a Boss, for example, will in three or four lifts, erase the 10 seconds longer that a Boss may take to put on. Then, there's the rest of the night.......when the money is made. No disrespect intended, but shop beyond the mounting system.
  5. ahrdscape

ahrdscape Junior Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a Fisher.
  6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I always go with the dealer closest to my location, so it sounds like Meyers for you.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i have never used a meyer plow but from the posts on this site and a few others ... i don't think i would even look at one much less buy one. seems like meyer plows are made to break !
    that being said , Western plows are solid . i don't think they would be considered the best plows out there , but you wont hear meny complaints about them.
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do you self a favor. BUY anything else other than a Meyer. They are junk. From what I have heard, no one stocks parts for the express system.

Personally Fisher or blizzard are my choices. Getting wide is really the best choice.
  9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Meyer Snow Plow

If you line up 6 people 3 swear at and 3 swear by any brand snow plow. We have had Meyer Snow plows for 34+ years. Not many problems that were not self induced. When I did have a problem I called the tech line and got the CORRECT answer with in minutes. Meyer is in Cleveland which is 50 miles north of us so parts were easy to get. One thing I must say about Meyer is that I have seen plows over 20 yrs old still out plowing NE Ohio winters. That is something in it self.

We just got 2 new plows....both Meyer C8. We felt it would do the job.

10. sbt1

sbt1 Member

Thanks guys

to those of you who realize there's no "S" in the word "Meyer".

11. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Nope - no "S" in Meyer, but there is usually (and I've owned one, so I know) a G.D. in there somewhere .....
  12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

meyers are good plows get an e57 pump or e60 just keep it simple
  13. rmhconst

rmhconst Junior Member
    from va

I BOUGHT IT< NOW I KNOW... "I,me,myself..experience now"

I bought it, it is wonderful, nobody can hook or unhook like this fricken "MEYERS" can...it is indeed the best plow, added plow wings.....better yet...all you who say other wise and still have to hook up 2 pins on the under carriage .... idiots...check it out..if you do you will see... see that all you morons are spending too much time on your knees (hooking up the plow) ! bam boom I KNOW< I BOUGHT ONE>>>>>>> !
  14. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

LoL. I see a lot of people pronounce it MeyIZ around my town.
  15. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Any possiblity of seein pics of this setup?

16. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

I'm not really understanding this whole Meyer plows are crap deal on this site. I've seen many more older Meyer plows out running around than other brands. Shouldn't that be proof enough about time tested durability?

Parts? I personally think Meyer parts are the easiest to find. Perhaps these people swearing Meyer plows are crap ran the ST series which are not recommended for commericial service???
  17. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

my opinion on meyers

i had to add my 2 cents. if you plow where there not much snow you can use a meyers. in buffalo or any other region that get real snow they are considered JUNK! i don't know of one commercial company that would use them. we had ONE on my dads bronco. hit a curb block when it was 2 weeks old and it broke in HALF!!!!!!!!. that was the only vehicle in my 32 years of plowing that we removed the plow to put on a different brand. i think the meyer lasted 3 years and the replacement artic 8 years and was still ok when sold.
  18. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I agree with Ksland, If you do break something on a Meyer, you can get a part at almost any auto parts store, and get right back to work.

The blade and E-47 pump on my jeep are over 20yrs old and on their 3rd truck. I just rebuilt the pump for the first time last season, and replaced the angle cylinders for the first time on it too. The only things I have managed to break were the hydraulic fittings on the cylinders, due to the way I had built the mount on the last truck. When stacking the snow up the pile the blade rose up so high the fittings hit the mount and were smashed. Some mods were made to the mount later that night.
  19. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

I don't know much about meyer plows other than I always see tons of rebuilt parts for them listed in every classified site, and ebay. My experience with my Fisher was a great one. It was a MM1 that would hook up fine, and it sure took a beating. I bought it for $500 and beat it like it was worth $100. I plowed iced over snowbanks, ran into others to move them further and further back at about 20 mph, and even did my street hitting a few manhole covers-never had one problem. Secondly, you never see "rebuilt" pumps for Fishers, they never seem to fail. The only issue I see with them is a good and bad thing-the trip springs are stiff and only trip the cutting edge. This is bad because it feels like the truck is going to fall apart when it trips, but is great for scraping and moving a lot of snow without worrying about the blade tripping all the time. That made it perfect for moving huge ice banks off the bank of my driveway to make room for more snow from upcoming storms.
  20. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Like someone above said it all depends on what area your in. Im in south east PA and I would say thay 1 in 3 plows is a meyer. Simply because we rarely get a snow over 12". This isn't "snow country". Now maybe if your in Up state New York or any where in New England then Meyers is probably a joke.