1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which manufacturer has most durable trans

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sqdqo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

Which truck manufacturer has or has had the most durable transmission for plowing, say one ton or 3/4 ton chassis.

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Duh! Allison in a GM...

3. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

5R100 (torque shift) in a Ford. Will take 500hp stock. Sorry to say but the allison doesnt put up with much over stock HP.

I know a guy who runs 5 or 6 duramax work trucks for his Ag service business, and tranny problems are nothing new to him. Trucks are all stock 2500 SRW with service boxes, and they trade them off every 4 years.

As far as dodge is concerned.... Well we wont talk about them

4. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

5r110w(very similar just a bit beefed up from the factory) in the 6.4 ford will take more than that. there is trucks makin 580hp with the stock tranny still holding strong. Imho not impressed with the allison. Id still take a built 48re or 4r100 over any of the newer trannys

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Agree, a well built 4r100 would be my choice. My stock 4r has 190k on it and still pulls 10,000 pounds on a regular basis.

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I'll put an 08 and up dodge auto against any stock tranny out there. The new max tow option puts out 800 ft lb of torque, and dodge stands behind it.There is a lot of talk on TDR about hot shotters grossing 30,000 or more, for 200,000 miles with no problems.

7. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

Ok then if your limited to used, how do you know which Ford or Dodge truck has the trans with what you guys are recommending? I mean auto trans too, I should have mentioned that. Either gas or diesel makes no difference to me.

8. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Okay I guess I cant speak for the new dodges, but we can all agree the older ones were junk, few buddies with cummins, and my father has an 04 commonrail, trans problems are common around here... if the 08 and up are better now, its about time they started playing catch up....

Ford Wins Ford Wins:salute:

Unanimous vote that the allison is not what its talked up to be????

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Allison hands down.As usual,responses aren't being based on the OP's intended question.This isn't about hot rodding,it's about which tranny is the most durable for plowing.

10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

They're all pretty comparable stock if you do your part on the maintenance end. Use the proper fluid. Not some base **** with additive to make it into something it's not. If you cook the fluid pushing snow, change it, next day.

The number one killer of transmissions in plow trucks is heat.

If you're talking simple stupid design out of the box meant for abuse Dodge 48RE all day. It's got straight cut gears. Stick some Alto Red friction in it, a billet input shaft, transgo shift kit with flow through selector valve and a triple disk billet tq converter and a mag-hytec +5 pan on it, and you've got a monster on your hands. There's a reason allot of the sled pullers run Suncoast 48RE's in duramaxes and built cummins; they are just old fashioned tough and built to medium duty truck specs.

11. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Everybody knows of someone that bought a new truck and had a trans issue. It's kinda like debating which oil is better:rolleyes:

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If left at stock power levels and the op is asking about a stock truck it's hard to beat an Allison. I've heard of tourqe converters going on older trucks but never a complete tranny. Maybe I live in a sheltered world.

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The Alison has to be one of the most programmable out of that box. That's for sure. Also a plus in my book. The best trick I've figured out with new trucks is to trade them in with 5k left on the warranty and not sweat the little **** then.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

15. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Most reliable trans ..? The one that makes it through blizzard..!
    With $ you can make any trans the best this is loaded question with to many variables...

16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto, was really surprised that my 4l85E trans held up during our blizzard last February.

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

One of mine didn't.

Allisons were fine, but the 4L80 didn't see the need to keep that reverse gear in it.

GM's have it in the tranmission department.

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

See I'm not sure if I have an 85 or 80 in my truck. I know that it's a tad different than a standard 80 as it has something like a 9 tooth output gear over an 8 or something like that. Had to do all my homework on it last year when I thought I had a tranny issue. The one in my truck is just because of the 8.1 and it's a cab and chassis.

As for reverse going out, all you have to do is Stop completely before switching gears and your fine. Something you should be doing with any transmission anyways.

As for the better trans, as far as I'm concerned, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, I can break them all the same.

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

All stock trans are about the same- they build them to handle the STOCK engine and work ratings. The 47RE was a fine trans as long as you don't work the truck like a 1 ton- the real issue with it is the shift points/pressures were not reconfigured for the diesel.
    The Torqueshift is good for stock but needs help for boosted power- it has a weak 3-4 (I think could be 2-3) shift that needs to be corrected. The 48RE is a beefed 47RE which is an electronically controlled 727A with a locking converter.
    Now, if you wanna build one up they will all be the same as long as you can get the parts- not sure how much aftermarket support there is for Allison- tons for Dodge (especially since the transmissions are so long running), fairly good for Ford. If you really want strength go standard with a seriously hd clutch.

I'm happy with my 46re rebuilt and upgraded to a 47re in my stock truck. Reman TC failed and cost me a rebuild, but the rest of it was fine.

20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

No, you are wrong. 4L80E has such a tall reverse gear it has no business being in a truck as heavy as my dump truck. There are bands in that style transmission. A heavy loaded truck trying to back up threw all that snow that we had, it slowly slipped the band and glazed it so reverse was no longer there.