1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which lights to buy? need advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by meathead1134, Oct 5, 2005.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I cannot decide on which lights to buy, can you guys help me out I am currently looking at 4 different styles can you please give me your input on any of them if you currently use them they are as follows

sho me low profile mini led bar
    http://www.lshlights.net/Sho-me_Store.HTM

sho me stealth mini strobe bar
    http://www.lshlights.net/catalog/6__mini_light_bar_sho-me_stealth_2121323.htm

the code 3 mini light bar
    http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4139.php

or the federal signal mini
    http://www.strobe-direct.com/images/Products/FS_Target_Tech/Mini_Lightbars/Highlighter_450112.jpg

I would really appreciate all the help I can get on this manner, I'm kind of leaning towards the sho me stealth. I look forward to any help I can get.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im really happy with my Highlighter.

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I've had Whelen Mini-Edges on my last two trucks and they have been perfect and I have loved them both. A bit more $ but you definitely get what you pay for, the light will last through several trucks. The first one I had, had for almost 4 years and it worked/looked no different than the day I got it.

5. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I recently installed the sho me low profile, so far so good. I like the low power requirements & the fact that it should last a long time without maintenance.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Federal Signal

This will be my third season and I have had zero problems. I like how high it is and bright. This helps it still be effective even in the worst of it. The rotators (as opposed to strobes) are nice too because people tend to realize a plow truck is nearby. I find that strobes just make people think of tow trucks and blind them. I use my Federal Signal in the summer too when parked along the roadway, backing into drives, etc.

7. Federal Signal

I have the federal signal highlighter and I think that it works great. It is very bright! Mine is clear with Orange filters. I think that this color combo looks much cleaner, but that is just me.

I was also wondering how those sho-me led's work. HOW BRIGHT ARE THEY REALLY?

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

LED's are very bright. they are a sharp true single color of light. instead of some other shades of colors mixed in like with traditional incandescent lights. if you ever see a cop car or fire truck with their lights on you can tell from a long way away what type of light they have. the blues are very intense, same with the reds.

9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I definetly like the led ones and they look really cool and proboly are really nice, but I were go with the code 3, as the rotator ones IMO are better as they can reflect the light far and off glash, ect so people can see the lights before they even set a truck.

10. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

go with the code 3 light bar its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I also have the clear dome with the orange filters. I like it more than the amber dome, something different and not as noticible on the truck.

12. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I ended up buying the code 3 420 from these guys,and received it yesterday. That light it pretty bright. Thank you guyd for all the input.

13. I've got the Sho-Me mini-LED light bar. LOVE IT!!

Very low amp draw.

Be safe,
    P

14. Jasonnau

Jasonnau Junior Member

Just ordered this one too. Should have it by Friday.
    Thanks for the link. I wasn't sure where to buy a strobe, and this is the cheapest price that I've seen for a quality looking light.

15. norstar

norstar Junior Member

p lo

Do you have the $179.00 one? i have one on order!
    tks
    norstar

16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

If I were you, I would stay away from the SHO-ME, take that thing out side on a brite sunny day and you'll barely see it a 1/2 mile away. There is a place by me that sells nothing but police equipment, they are a dealer of Whelen as well as sho-me stuff, the guy said take the Whelen LED outside as well the SHO-ME, side by side the you could barely see the SHO. He said all there LED's are imported, that's why there is a huge difference in price of the units, plus the're still using first gen LED's where Whelen is on 4th gen.

I know you could bye 3 SHO's probably for the price of the Whelen, but I'm saving for the better, brighter product.

Just my .02 cents worth.

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Eyesell.....I think the sho-me led's are junk. They are just a cheaper built LED. If you want an LED mini-bar, try one of these links...

Whelen Liberty LED bar --- http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=LB004&cat=2714

Code 3 LEDX 2100 LED --- http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=LB121&cat=2714

I have the following: Dodge - STAR 2 strobe quad flash bar, 4 Clear hideaway
    strobes in the turn signals and reverse lights
    Ford - Whelen Liberty LED bar, Amber LED's in rear
    of the dump body
    You can see my trucks coming from miles away.....:) :waving: :eek: :eek:

18. NoFearDeere

I agree with Eyesell.....I think the sho-me led's are junk. They are just a cheaper built LED. If you want an LED mini-bar, try one of the following on www.galls.com

Whelen Liberty LED
    Code 3 LEDX 2100 LED

I have the following: Dodge - STAR 2 strobe quad flash bar, 4 Clear hideaway
    strobes in the turn signals and reverse lights
    Ford - Whelen Liberty LED bar, Amber LED's in rear
    of the dump body
    You can see my trucks coming from miles away.....:) :waving: :eek: :eek:

19. NoFearDeere

Sorry hit the button too many times...:p

20. Last edited: Nov 30, 2005