1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which light bar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Mar 2, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im looking for a magnetic mount light bar. I've been looking at Federal Signal highlighter and whelen mini responder. CAn anyone comment on these or make another recommendation?

2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

3. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

What does it mean when it says (features 7 strobe like patterns)? Is their different settings or does it do its own thing? Thanks

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's a pretty neat strobe setup. I like the low profile.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have the Fedeal one- love it. Plenty of light. So much s I normally turn it off after 11 PM so as not to wake up my customers or neighbors.

6. Peopleeater

Mini Light

The seven flash patterns are selectable under the unit itself with a rubber coated button. 1 of the patterns is random (which I use) and goes through the other patterns. I believe if you set it to another pattern, it will stay that way til unplugged, but have not tried that for sure. Not enough snow to play! :cry:

It is very low profile, yet attracts LOTS of attention. Better than strobe or halogen or rotators. you will be happy. I am gonna mount 2 permanant mounts on my semi someday.

Jeff

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

my truck #2 have a 24" Whelen 4 stoble on it. Its a nice bar, o-most like it better then the 54" 8 stobe light,

8. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I like my 100 dollar buyers dual rotator....pretty darn bright for 100 bucks....

9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

whelen guardian here, very bright. I tryed the led's but when they are around the corner you cant see the l.e.d bounce off the building, i like for people to see me when they cant see me, know what i mean?..Just my 2 cents.

10. dodgerocks

dodgerocks Junior Member

Go with the LED, I have the same light and it is awesome. The patterns stay the same until you change them. Way cool light and you can get the brand new on eBay for the best price. Look for liteguy, he has a store on eBay. Super nice guy and he has the best prices anywhere. He even refunded me 5 bucks that eBay overcharged me for shipping. Good luck

11. Peopleeater

Light bar

This bar looks like the LED flashers on the muny plow trucks. I have had it on while driving in snow and it gives a very strange effect. I had a (cheap) beacon strobe on my semi, (actually 2 of them), and both lasted less than 6 months, I'm guessing from the vibration. What I like about the LEDs are that they are durable (vibration resistant), draw less power from truck, are VERY bright (should be able to see it when they can't see you, if you know what I mean), have no moving parts to break, and no bulbs to replace. I forget off hand how many hours it is supposed to last, either 10,000 or 100,000 hours. It can be taken apart to replace parts. For 179.00, I think it is a steal. My friend saw it, and he doesn't care about lights one way or the other. He had me order him one cause he liked the flash pattern, the low profile, and the way they get attention.

All the police cars in my town have switched to full length LED light bars. These are much brighter than rotator/ halogen light bars they had before. As for their LEDs being seen around the corner, I have no problem seeing them when they have someone pulled out of sight.

I thought about getting a rotator or strobe light bar til I found this. I am VERY happy with it, and will never again buy a halogen or strobe because of problems mentioned above.

The only problem I can see so far is it being so low profile, I wonder if they get right on your bumper if they will see it, but I guess if they are that close, no light would matter.

Jeff

Let us know what you end up getting and how happy you are.

12. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I bought the same light, it is very bright, if you decide to go with this light you wont be upset. Breck

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Just an update/correction- I have had my Federal for 3 seasons and no problems.(still original bulbs) I like LED but they're still overpriced IMO, just like strobes were when they came out.
    Some of the PD use LED (new cruisers) but they're NOT as bright as the strobe bars the other cars have. (blue is close to white light so it is easier to see, just as green is easier to see. Amber is actually one of the hardest colors for the human eye to see.)

If you buy a cheap beacon you got a cheap beacon. :nod:

14. Peopleeater

Mini Light

Go with the LEDs

Jeff

Local PD has RED and BLUE LEDs. We have red, yellow, and green stoplights. I always thought that red was most common color blindness color?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  15. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

I used to have the FedSig highlighter. That thing is BRIGHT! I actually sold it to the company I work for, so they could put it on a company truck.

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It is, but the human eye responds best to white (because it is all colors), blue (looses night vision), Green (keeps night vision), red (keeps night vision), yellow (increases contrast decreases detail) in that order. Airport marker lights (beacons) are green because it is the most visible color at night for a distance.

17. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I just think (maybe a bad move, hehe)..That the LED's are very bright when you look at them maybe too bright ever look at the light at night it almost blinding(the residential customers would like that at 5 am when im in their driveway). They cool lights and are very bright when u look at them but when you turn your eyes away just out of sight from one you cant see the light bouncing off anything and when there is a blizzard out they seem to do funny things with the snowflakes. Look around where you live and ask when you see one on a truck to see it run...I'm not saying mine is best but i like it because it does the job for the $ spent, guess thats the Key to remember...

18. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

LED here... i got the sho-me led bar off ebay

bit expensive but worth it.

andrew

19. SnowyPennsylvan

SnowyPennsylvan Junior Member

Not actually plowing with the truck yet, but I like to consider myself an expert of sorts when it comes to lightbars.

Consider the following as sort of a case study:
    Just a few years ago, pne of the largest police department in my county had the goal to replace their whole fleet (somewhere between one and two dozen cars.) Generally, they just replaced their cars when they got to a certain mileage or condition, and they always got the same specs. Anyway, when they were replacing, they decided that they'd replaced a fourth of the fleet every year.

The first year, they bought about four cars, each with Whelen Edge, strobe lightbars. The new cars were an absolute flop. They just couldn't be seen in the situations that this department's officers were in. The very next year, when they were about to order the next batch of cars, they deleted the strobe lightbar, and added in a bar that utilizes rotators, strobes and LED's. These cars have been a big success, and work perfectly.

What am I trying to say? Honestly, I don't know, I think I'm just rambling. But I can't say that I like strobes.

Think about it though, I like lights as much as the next guy, but why buy a $150 mini-bar when a $20 tear drop light will do?

Anyway, if you insist on getting the mini-bar, I like both of them, but I'd have to direct you towards the LED. They are really bright though, so maybe get a small dash light or something as a backup for when you can't have all the light of a mini-bar...

20. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Ya, I posted here already but......

Personally, I think rotators work the best.

Strobes are GREAT at night, but during the day, not so great.

LEDs work great during both the day and night. However, they're kind of monodirectional. Only really effective if ya look at them head on. You would have to get a lightbar (fullsize or mini, whichever) to get a good 360 degree viewing area.

Rotators work great day and night, 360 degree viewing area, AND they're cheaper then LEDs. True, they'll draw more power. But much more effective.

Just my (cha-ching) $.02