1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which LEDs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Aug 30, 2003.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

OK I am finnally going to have to light my truck (new contract wants it)

I want to do multiple led heads on the exterior of the Excursion (grill, mirrors, front fenders, rear quarter windows and facing the rear.)

Which are bright?

Whelen, 911EP ($45 a piece), Able Show me (guy on ebay has them for 19.95)

Which are bright enough to be seen?

Howard

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with 911EP Stars. They are very nice, small and compact sized LEDs, but very bright and highly visible. I have several of them and it looks very impressive. I am using the Federal Signal Intelliflash "strobe like" flasher. They let you program the LEDs to 8 different flash patterns. :cool:

Another nice thing about the 911EP Stars is their new type len. As you may know, there are three diodes in each Stars. Two of them on the outside ends are fluted, and it is visible up to near 90 degrees angle! The remaining diode which is in the center, is direct, meaning the lights are beaming directly in front for better visibility when in front. ;)

If you are ordering 911EP Stars, check with the dealer to make sure you will be getting the new type len as I described above.

Good luck with your decision! :)

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Howard,
    Theo ther thing is that Whelen is a big name brand. You will always be able to match what you get later. They also have some kind of warranty.
    Let us know what you choose and where you buy it. I just ordered a new mini light bar set for Cari's Ramcharger. We want to add more lights and strobes are coming in about $400 to do them right. The LED's are interesting. Show and tell when you get yours.
    See ya...:waving:

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've been interested in the 911EP Stars for their compact size, I have a location on my flatbed that Whelen doesn't make a light small enough for.

I've got Whelens on my 550, I think they're about the brightest out there. They also have 14 different flash patterns, but are a bit pricey.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

What do these lights look like?

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

http://www.911ep.com/

Whelen's look just like their strobes, in fact they use the same housings.

7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

[​IMG]

I was thinking of that kit. two high up in the grill, two mounted on brackets that fit between the hood and fender (no visible holes) two above the the third brak light two on the roof rack facing to the sides and two on the side corners of the rear bumper....

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, they both have the same housing design. I heard that 911EP was the first to design that, but did not patented it. When Whelen saw that, they stole the 911EP design then patented it, then sued 911EP. Pretty stupid of Whelen. It was brought to the court but was later dropped. :yow!:

Sorry, no offense SnowplowJay. I just want to share the truth from what I have heard. Nothing directly toward you. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003
  10. Santo

Santo Banned

Strobes are THE way to go. I'v had them for some years now and if you really want to part the red sea (traffic) on your lot,you will be amazed how people stop in their tracks as you go by with a blade full.Literally , you cannot procede foward towards oncoming strobes, especially when the flakes are flying at night.Flick the switch to the off position as you enter a road.

11. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I think the LED's or strobes on the front grill will cause a lot of distraction by reflecting off the back of your plow. I have always been a fan of roof mounted warning lights. Anything in your rear or side windows will be a problem at night. If you must go that route, i would suggest a temporary mount with duct tape to try them at night.