1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which kind of plow to buy?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gmc2500guy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

Hi guys,
    I am brand new to this site and need some help. I am purchasing a 2006 gmc 2500 hd very shortly. I am torn on which plow to buy though. I will be doing mostly driveways and small lots for friends. I like the v because of the versatility. It can be used in anyway and save alot of time. The wideout can do the same but it might be too big for driveways. Also, i want the plow that would last the longest. I dont want to kill my truck either. I am not a contractor so i would be doing my driveway and a few friends/ customers that ask me to do theirs. Also, is Western the way to go for reliablity? I find western to be less complex then boss but more heavily built then fisher.Western seems to be the inbetween for how strong it is built and how simple it is. I will be doing a decent amount of backdragging fyi .Thanks for the help

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would also do a search for this on the site you will learn a lot. I have a western pro plus and love it. It sees heavy use and has about 6 winters on it. I have had ot replace the motor and oump and fix a few pivot points on thw frame. I did these myself I weld for a living. It wasn't broken just annoying. I think it is a great plow.

I have never owned a V blade so no insight for you. If you are going to do a lot of back dragging get a bvack drag bar for it.

3. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

thanks for the input! Good Luck

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you want something that needs little maintainance then don't get a V or a Wide-out, get a straight blade. The V & Wide-out have similar valve bodies with 6 solenoid valves where as the straight blades have only 3. The Vs are not so bad as the Wide-out for cutting edges because they only have a small plastic piece between the blades but the Wide-out has a poly cutting edge on each wing and since the wings are on the outside edge they tend to wear down very fast. These wing pieces are not cheap either. I build plows for a dealer and I can tell you we have a fraction of the problems with the staight blades that we have with the V & Wide-outs. Another issue with these two is the weight, they are heavy things. It suprises me to hear Tony350 say he has had his plow only six years and already replaced the motor and pump! We have plows that are fifteen years old getting their first motors & pumps. If you are doing so little I expect a much longer lifespan than a commercial operator.

Before you commit to your new truck you should look at the quick match on the western site and see what options your truck will take. Many people buy their truck first thinking that they can put any plow on that they want but that is not the case. For example, if you get a diesel engine you have a much heavier front end so your options are reduced. The suspention options you choose will also have remifications in this regard. Bottom line is that you need to ensure that the plow you want will go on the truck you select. Understand that a 2500 HD is only the shell, there are many options that will affect your plowing choices.

That's my two cents worth... well maybe fifty cents.....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Mishnick what happened is the motor was going out but before I was a member here most people were agreeing with you that it seems fast for it to be going out and not to worry about it. Well the motor went out and I put one in and the motor would spin but the plow wouldn't move. The pump had arch burns on the shaft and wrecked the gears in it. If I would have listened to my gut and had the motor rebuilt the pump would have been fine. The motor was so bad it couldn't be rebuilt, said it would cost more than a new one. The plow sees a lot of use. I figure if you are making money with it and can't afford a few minor things you need to re-evaluate what you are doing.

6. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

Well your 50 cents goes a long way! Thanks for the help

7. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

For what you want to do with the plow, id say a 8' pro plus would be good. remember your only doing a few driveways now but thats bound to multiply in a couple years.

8. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

V blades are easily the best for stacking snow and quick clean up which helps when doing drive ways. The less trips you have to make into traffic the better and the further you can get the snow pushed back the easier it will be next time.

9. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

V's are nice for doing driveways and small commercial. Stright blades with wings are best for heavy commercial IMO. I run a blizzard (wideout) and it is very efficient, though the initial prices are pretty high.

10. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

thanks for all this input. I always thought a v would be good because it can also be used as a straight blade and v etc. Is western the way to for for a v though? I think they are built stronger then fisher but not as good as boss. I like the chain lift as opposed to only hydraulics. Westerns also have the trip edges which is a must for driveways and the lips on them. I like the westerns, any other opinions?

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Why do you think westerns are built stronger then fishers? The western wideout and the fisher xls are built almost exactly the same. The western mvp and the fisher extreme v are built pretty much the same as they both have the trip edge design and the same same pump and wiring system. I am a big western fan and I think they are great plows, but I like the trip edge design and that is why I went with the xls and I like the stainless option on the fisher extreme v since the moldboard will not rust plus the plows are interchangable on the truck. So IMO if you are going to get the v plow then I would spend the extra money and get the SS EXV plow.Good Luck on your choice.

12. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

well from what a dealer told me, he said that where the hydraulic pumps touch the actual plow frame, the western has a bar there that takes some of the shock while the fisher has is attached right to the frame taking the abuse. Thats what i was told i never actually looked into it( i will now of course thought). Thanks for the tip.

13. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

also burk, how does ur truck hold up? The v's are heavy and i want a 2500 like urs. Do u have lots of repairs?

14. Burkartsplow

I looked at pictures of both and saw that the pump on the western had the bar across that touched both sides of the plow frame and it was suspended right in the middle of the frame as the fisher is also suspended on a bar on the inside passenger side of the frame. What your dealer is telling you is not going to make a difference in the reliability of the pump or make it stronger. Plus you are buying a chevy which I have owned my whole life and the western pump is smack right in the middle of the grill which means less airflow to the engine and more possibility for the truck to overheat. The fisher being on the side allows more air to get to the engine. Simple fix for that is a heavier duty fan clutch if you have that problem. Some might argue the mounting system is easier on the western with the ultramount, and I am not going to lie it is a better system the the MM2 system. But I have always gotten my plow on in a minute or less.

15. Burkartsplow

I have 2000 to 3000 lbs of salt in the back every storm as ballast and a few cranks of the t bars and timbrens the truck holds the plow fine. I installed the plows myself this year and no problems with the plows and the truck has had no problems the last 4 years running heavy plows.

16. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

wow good to hear

17. Superior Snow

Superior Snow Junior Member

I have alot of plows and have used only Western on all my truucks for 15 years. If you want my opinion go with an 8' or 8.5' Western Pro Plus straight blade. I have a 9.5' MVP and will never get another. Get straight blades and add the wings. For drives that are narrow leave the wings off and if you go to a commercial lot put them on and it carries the snow for you perfectly. You don't even have to get the wings right away that blade will last you a long time and then purchase them when your business grows.

18. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

How much are the wings? Do they hold up well?

19. Superior Snow

Superior Snow Junior Member

I get them from Rondo Enterprises, they are local for me, but they are also the cheapest on the internet. They have some on ebay all the time. I believe they are $179.99 plus shipping. They hold up well, They are steel wings with a rubber edge. The edge will usually last as long as your plow cutting edge as long as you didn't hit something extremely hard. I use them on all my plows and I do heavy commercial plowing and about 750 drives per year. So I would say I've tested them severly. They give enough angle to the edge of your plow to prevent roll off of snow and you will carry about 30% more snow. You will cut plow time by 25% - 35%. They add 10" in length to each side of the plow. Takes about 2 hours for initial installation, but once installed about 1 minute to take them on and off. Hope this helps.

20. gmc2500guy

gmc2500guy Junior Member

So it is like a wideout without the extra weight and a little less length right? Do the western straights have lockout cylinders or u have to buy them?