1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is which?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by billythekid, Jan 24, 2015.

1. billythekid

billythekid Junior Member

I was just curious to see who does it which way. It seems to me there are multiple trains of thought when it comes to bidding. Some guys bid based on hourly production and some guys seem to bid based off of square footage. Of course some guys just sort of wing it as well and I know that everyone adds on a little bit of cushion or cuts a little out based off of the clients personality. SO which are you?

Personally I am a square footage guy. When it comes to bidding most other things in my lawn care business and I plan to carry that over into my snow ventures.
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It is a combination of size, PITA and Just what is looks like it should cost.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My thumb tells me what to bid.
  4. billythekid

billythekid Junior Member

I forgot to put the aggravation variable
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Even from such a dark place???!Thumbs Up
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

There...I fixed it for ya. :)
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I do everything off of square footage ( per acre ) pricing. Then of course there is an upcharge for the pita factor.
  8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

9. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Estimated time involved x hourly rate, with a minimum of course. Plus of course a little guess of what they are willing to pay.
  10. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

It's both. I know what kind of production in terms of acres per hour my guys are capable of, so I use sqft to estimate time, x desired hourly rate, times PITA/travel surcharge.