1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is faster, blower or shuvel?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Some guy last year had a $1200 6.5 hp ( or more) blower which took him about the same amount of time to do the same size driveway as me and I only had a big shuvel. Now I'm sure I was working much harder than him, but it kept me warm. Is it only quicker and much easier using a blower on REALLY deep snows like of 8 inches or more? I think it was like 5 inches on the drives which were about 30x15 and it took us each about 15m.
    The guy told me he'd done about 100 already that day. I was like on my 15th or something. I figured he must've been lying his arse off...lol I'm on a tight budjet and want to know what is the point in spending $1,000 if I can do most jobs as fast with a good shuvel? Is the main reason to save energy so that one can last longer hours and do more jobs? I can see that as a good reason. How much do u have to spend on a blower though to really be 2 or 3x as fast as a shuvel? Could I attatch a plow to a 36 inch wb mower if I get one? Just an idea..

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I used a backpack blower when my snow blower broke down last year. We had 12" of snow & it worked fairly good until the wind changed directions back in my face. It took about twice as long though.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You'll never go back to shoveling once you've run an 8-10hp snowblower. Look at it this way: when you shovel, the piles stay at the side of the driveway, right? A snowblower is gonna send it farther off the side, keeping more room for more snow, AND you're not having to shovel snow over 4 feet of piles at the driveway's edge. Heavy snow, you'll work hard with a snowblower but not nearly as much as you will shoveling. It's a no-brainer really. Spend $1200 for something you're gonna get anyway when you plow (the snowblower will ride with you in the truck). Look now for a new one at great summer savings.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes I use a shovel, sometimes a backpack blower and sometimes my snow blower. I hae a Toro CCR2450. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. All depends on how much snow and the area.