1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by WOODY367, Jul 4, 2006.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Which is better, the 2 or 3 plug minute miunt syestems? And what is the difference between them. Thanks

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It all depends there woody,

The 2 plug is based on a relay type system that uses relays to switch from the trucks lights to the plow lights, origanally, it was just 2 relays, one for high beam and one for low beam. Now that the Big 3 have messed with the lights, wiring and switches in the trucks, you can have up to 6 relays (and a 3 plug relay system depending on the plow and the truck) . A real pain in the arse to trouble shoot if you dont understand how the lighting system in your truck works. Along with the fact that the relays take some abuse because they are usually hidden behind the drivers side headlight so you tend to get a corrosion problem. The other downfall to the relay system was in the pins at the grill plug. Because the pins were hollow they tended to corrode from the inseid and just were not always the strongest point in the harness.

The 3 plug system uses a fully sealed unit called a isolation module (iso mod)that is larger than the group of 6 relays. It still works like a group of relays but because it is totally sealed theres less chance of corrosion causing problems. It is also mounted along the firewall (in most cases) in the engine compartment instead of right behind the headlight. There are 3 different iso mods and the one you need depepnds on the year, make and type of headlights on your truck. Every part of the plow harness runs trhough the iso mod, including plow controls. They also updated the grill connectors by making the connector pins solid (less corrosion and breakage).

Yeah, i know, couldnt just answer the question, thought a little history might help. If your putting the plow on an older truck, (80's through mid 90's), save some $ and go with a relay system, it should only have the 2 relays so its easy to fix. If your putting it on something newer, go with the iso, it does the high side to low side switching and its also compatible with the HID lights that Western/fisher are supposed to have out.

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Crash935 knows his Fishers! Very nice explanation.

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks for the info. I am going to be looking for a Fisher setup for a 2002 F250. If I understand you correctly I should look for the 3 plug system. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank for the help

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I would go with a 3 plug system if you can find one, if not, the 02 ford only uses 2 relays so its no that tough to troubleshoot a lighting problem. Just remember to check all the electrical connection points (whether 2 or 3 plug) for signs of corrosion. Another thing to look for is to much wear on the base angle to the point where you cant bolt a cutting edge up to it, very expensive to replace the base angle.

thanks Yaz, i try!!