1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is Better

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NortheastSNO, Dec 24, 2013.

1. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

I am not sure if this is the right thread for this post but: here it goes.

I am looking at purchasing a new plow next year, and I am totally lost.

I like western plows, however they are expensive. I know blizzard is owned by Douglas Dynamics who owns western as well as fisher.

Is blizzard a good plow or should I go with the western line up

Is blizzard the test platform for western, I remember seeing the speed wing 2 years ago and then this year western has the prodigy.

Any help would be great

Also thinking about the Buyers they have came a long way I think, plus the are local

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You get what you pay for....... Enough said!

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What do you plow most? Residential, commercials? What size truck?
    I love me some Fisher plows, but if I had a ton class truck and were plowing a 2 acre open lot I would buy an 8611 Blizzard.
    Resis, or other smaller stuff, I would personally buy a Fisher XV-2.

Having said this, I think all the makers have pretty good stuff.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run a Boss after having a Western for 3-4 years. If I wasn't running a boss I'd have no problem running a Western or Blizzard. I'd probably even give Snow Dogg and Fisher (no dealers) a chance. No matter who I went with it would be a V blade or an expanding plow.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Stay with a good name plow that you can get local service for. If your dealership is open during snow storms, even better. Make sure whoever you buy it from keeps plenty of parts in stock. Don't buy from a company that only stocks plows.

6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

That's like asking what's better, Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. Everyone has brand loyalty. For the most part they are all the same. They are heavy, expensive, and use a steel blade to push snow.
    Rd2505 said it best. You need service after the sale. Buy whatever your local dealer sells.

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Buy whatever has a dealer close to you, is open all the time during a storm, has more than 1 mechanic who works during storms and stocks parts.

8. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I run fisher for 2 reasons. My trucks all came with them when I bought them, and I have a dealer about 15 minutes away that is open 24 hours during storms and stocks almost everything.

9. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

What he said. Getting parts at a price is priceless

10. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

I went with the western v plow over the boss v plow just because the boss doesn't, or didn't a few years ago when I upgraded, trip the blade in a v or scoop position.

11. birddseedd

You could always get whatever plow you want, but just buy 1 extra of every part of the plow. extra hoses/fittings/motor/control box/controls and everything else. keep a whole new plow - the blade,frame,mount in a box in your bed. you can fix anything you want.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Coming from the guy who's to broke to pay for anything

13. birddseedd

im going on the assumption that he has more money than i do.

I should be good by next spring. (2015 spring)

14. dieselss

So you have extra hoses already?
    You have extra motor? That extra aframe still lying aroung. And I'm taking about your home made plow btw.
    You forgot to mention a full tool box full of tools and a welder

15. birddseedd

I have some extra stuff. pump, motor, pins/fittings. i do keep my tools in the truck, welder in a shop.

I think we are getting a little off topic to the op's question

16. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to the OP BUT.....Bird you just said in a thread a few weeks ago you had to use your damn shoe string to hold a pin on your plow in. WTF are you talking about having extra parts?????

17. birddseedd

This was my idea to the op "IF" he wanted a plow that did not have a local dealer.

The extra parts i have are pump, motor, housing and a few fittings n pins. Not the whole thing, but iv got 2 local dealers open at 3am

Course, they dont fit my new to me plow

Funny story, used the other boot string to hold up my drive shaft. That one was salvageable tho

18. dieselss

Funny he gives advice, but won't take his own. Huh. Interesting.

19. birddseedd

That actually brings up a good point. i can share my experience.

One night while plowing, due to the mounting pins being a bit short, my plow kept pushing out the cotter pin. Then the mounting pin came out and off with the plow.

I used what i could to keep the pin in. turned out to be the shoe string off my boot. Do what ya can with what ya have. This was at some 2 am. The fix got me through the lot.

by the time i got to my next lot it was after 3. and by chance was a couple blocks from my dealer.

Popped in, bought a couple correct sized pins, and extra cotter pins, and better pins. got back on the road within the hour.

now, had i bought a plow that did not have a dealer supplying parts, i would have been out of luck until working hours later that morning. My work would not have gotten done.

20. birddseedd

I cant afford to stock a whole plow worth of parts, that is why i chose a plow brand with dealer support at 3 am.

are you offering to buy me a whole spare plow worth of parts? because if you are not, you have no right to complain to me about what i cannot afford.

can we move the attention away from me and back to the OP please?