1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is better? or does it matter where you get your plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gottaluvplows, Nov 23, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Ok this prob. sounds weird but a Buddy of mine asked me if it makes a diff./which is better to buy a plow truck from a Dealer or separate??
    Because he's in need of a new truck and plow...
    Is there a difference in prices?

plow resize.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Wait....you live in Michigan, It's better to just not plow.

Just kidding.

Look to spend around 6k for a brand new commercial grade plow installed.

I don't know how to buy from a "separate"

I don't think these "separate"s give you dealer support in the middle of a lake effect storm rolling through.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not an easy post to understand. Are you asking about buying a new truck from a dealer with a plow already installed or buying a truck and get a plow from a plow dealer.

The truck dealer might be better if he is trying to move inventory. Only set back is you are stuck with the plow that is on the truck. If you buy a truck without the plow you can go and get the one you want.

4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Do you mean buying a new truck with a plow installed verses buying a truck at a dealer then purchasing the plow of your choice?

I saw on the Ford commercial that the new Superduty's had plows on them... They were Meyer plows though :(

5. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

My local dealer was nice enough to attach the plow of my choice and wrap it into the 0% financing for 60 months. Worked out pretty well.

7. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Should be the same warranty, just like the tire warranty is different from the main vehicle warranty. Ask your dealer to put the plow that you want on the truck and tell them that you want to pay the dealer cost. Many times you cane get a better price on the plow! Doing what fms did was also a tremendous idea, if the dealer will go along with it!

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

As long as your buying the truck cheap enough the dealer will add anything you want into the loan, if not i'm sure they will extend the offer of letting you use their discount at the plow dealer. We do this all the time at my lot. Whatever it takes to sell a vehicle. Plus the more you finance the more the bank pays us for doing the loan.

9. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Ok sorry if i confused some people, i didnt mean for this to be confusing...Yes my friend is Getting a BRAND NEW TRUCK

He wanted to know if it was better to buy a truck with a plow already on it From a truck dealer
    OR
    To buy the truck(from a dealer)
    then go to weingartz and get a plow put on it.......

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I you buy the truck with the plow it was installed by ??? on a low bid. Can the truck dealer service it or do you need to find a dealer to handle that. Better to develop a relationship with a snowplow dealer. Is the Auto dealer going to be there at 11pm when it's snowing?

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Some times the dealer will take some money off the plow if you buy a plow with the truck.

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The way ours work is this. The new trucks get shipped to Kaufennbuarger, they are the local big guy's that sell plows, they install the plow and then we get the truck from them. They do checy,ford and dodge this way. The warranty on the plow is good throught them. If you ask the truck dealer they probably do the same, there are very few car dealers that want to be in the plow business, we sub out all kind of equipment just to make our vehicles more marketable.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most of the dealers in this area stocking plows on trucks are buying out of the bailment pools. So some mega dealer somewhere did it on a low bid, where it was installed in a hurry. Some are done well some:dizzy:. I do a fair amount of dealer installs but mostly its customer request.

14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Weingartz

One thing I know about Weingartz is that they will take care of you if you buy it there. They are good people. Ask them where you would be in the service line if you did not buy it from them.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is very important. The couple hundred you save won't even begin to cover lost time, travel to the dealer an hour away, lost business, etc.

Ask my dealer that question, better wear your helmet:laughing: