1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is best position strobes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Lynden-Jeff, Nov 27, 2009.

Which position should the stobes be mounted?

1. Style 1

2. Style 2

3. Style 3

4. other

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

So I have 2 whelen LINZ6's I am mounting on my salter. They are Horizontal mount lights so if I choose the vertical placement they will lose some of their impact. Any other sugggestions welcome.

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Nice upgrade from the ol tailgate!

I chose #3 cause it'll look like a snow-ex Vmaxx 9500 then :D
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Ya it was way better then the tailgate. love love love the hard top, was looking at a snow ex but got this for a great price. Only reason im against the vertical is it will really lose its impact unless you are directly behind them. Wish I had gotten the vertical models but I managed to get these for a killer price.

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Def choice 1. Like you said you will loose all your concentrated warning with the spread of light. also. when you mount it like you have shown, will the wires/wireloom be exposed with the bulk?
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Build a bracket to hold them on the of the top of main support and then mount them on a 45 degree angle. That way you can see them from the side and rear.
  6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Position 1 or 2 will give you the best warning. I kind of like position 2 they match the curve of the spreader
  7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Can they be mounted on the vertical ribs that stick out?

Def. mount them in a horizontal oreintation, that way they spread the light left and right instead of up and down.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Mount them on the vertical ribs that stick out. Also horizontal is gonna be your best bet.
  9. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Echo... echo... echo. :)
  10. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I voted for 2. As high as possible. I would only go with amber too. Not that I don't like the blue, it's just that I would forget to shut them off.payup
  11. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i would say 1or 2
  12. Lynden-Jeff

Thanks for all the input. I think im going with 2 after I test it out. I was thinking vertical on the ribs however the salter is ment to stand on end, which means id have to take the strobes off every time I wanted to clean/store it. Talk about PIA. Also the wires will not be exposed to the bulk, the back all is double so I will just route them inside. Will post when im done.

13. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

If it was me I would pick between Pos 1 and 3 those positions are more straight even spots.Spot 2 is not even an opition in my choice and I think spot 3 is more uniform to the look with the vertical ribs therefor my ultimate choice is spot 3
  14. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i'd like to see 4 more
  15. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh by the way those are led's.