1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which is a better truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CJL, Oct 10, 2010.

1. CJL

CJL Junior Member
    from MD

I have a chance to get a 1987 ford f 250 with a 7.3 diesel it is 4x4 it has a western snow plow on it.

Also I can get a 1988 ford bronco with a plow also.

I still have to check them out for more info but I was wondering which would be a better plow truck?

My concerns is I dont know to much about diesels. Is working on them hard? I also hear it is hard for them to start in cold weather?
  2. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

87 used the International 7.3 that is IDI (indirect Injection). I have the same motor in my truck. This motor is bomb proof. Diesel is based on the same concept of gas. Also these motor are extremely easy to work on and parts are cheap. What trans is with the F-250? If it is the C-6 you have found your self an amazing truck. As for starting Diesels come with block heaters. Plug it in when it gets cold below 20 and make sure your glow plugs are good and she will start all the time. A word to the wise always have a 1/2 full tank it makes the fuel harder to "gel" because of the quantity.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

it depends on what you will be plowing
  4. CJL

CJL Junior Member
    from MD

Thanks for the detailed post. Any reason the C-6(3speed) is better than the manual or an AOD?

Does plugging it in become an inconvenience? How long does it have to be plugged in for?

Some resi and small commercial lots.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Please explain "diesel is based on the same concept of gas".
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a truck then. The Bronco is great for drives and tight places
  7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

im wondering the same thing....completely incorrect on all levels. except that they are both liquids....??? lol
  8. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Your customers wont like to hear a diesel in their driveway at 5AM.........
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Too effin' bad.
  10. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

get the diesel like stated thats an indestructible truck. I Have a 7.5 or 8.5 Boss Vee blade with pump that would fit on that truck if u want it